My cambelt has munched itself...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skint

As the title suggests, the perfectly in-date under-milage cambelt has slipped and stripped half of its teeth off. I am unspeakably gutted. What are the chances that if I stick a new belt on it (about £300 :-( ) it will actually run compared to the chances that the 60k mile engine will need a rebuild (probably £800+ :cry: )?
Please let me know your experiences ASAP as the car is in for the work on wednesday. Cheers.

E.T.A: The car is a 1.7litre 2000 Reg Millenium.

you can try a new belt but its very unlikely it will work! best bet would be to fit another head, if you were willing to travel!!!
i can fit a reconditioned head and would do the whole job for £580!

new cam belt kit
water pump
oil and filter
head gasket

pm if interested! steavie

That is a bargain, and if I hadn't been swanning round in my mechanics hire car for a few days and would get it on the loader and send it your way. Keep checking your pms though I might well be in touch..

Thats a bummer, sorry to hear it :-(
If the belt is still in-date and under-mileage couldn't you get the garage who originally fitted it to sort it for you?
I thought this sort of work had some kind of warranty for a couple of years at least?

The cambelt had been on for 3 and a half years and 40k miles. I doubt theres any chance of chasing a garage up for an engine rebuild because of a dodgy cambelt after that long, and it was done under a previous owner.

A word to the wise - If your engine feels slightly lumpy between 2600 and 3000 revs for the love of god get your cambelt checked...

Latest posts

Back