New back box only - deeper sound

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickaroll

Hi all,

there seem to be almost endless combinations of exhaust systems one could fit, I'm looking for something quite superficial really; a deeper sound without decreasingly performance.

Anybody tried this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sportex-Ford-Puma-1-7i-performance-exhaust-back-box-/280629373673?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4156d06ae9#ht_500wt_1204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cherry Bombs seem too cheap to actually do anything, but there are lots of videos on youtube that purport to show significant improvements.
Some of the milltek videos I've watched sound quite whiney, more like a motorbike than a car.

I would rather not replace the whole lot, ideally just the back box if possible, and I'd like to keep costs down. Anyone had a positive experience with a lower-cost option?

I have a Sportex, but 4" Jap style, It makes the car louder but you wont sound like a boy racer, its not that boomy. It does sound good when you open the revs up however. I'm really happy with it, there are some pics on my thread.

That is so ugly and pretty expensive to, I'm sure you can do better for £154+ much better :thumbs:

You can get a Powerflow Stainless backbox with your choice of tailpipe for that money
That's where I'm going when funds allow
Cheers
Damo

I'm not sure I'd invest in stainless at this stage in a Puma lifecycle.

It will end up being the smartest box in the scrapyard.

Horrid thought I know, but we have to be realistic.

Goal is to get something that'll yield a deeper, 'throaty' note without sounding like angry insects at motorway speeds. Her Yaris makes an awful racket on the motorway, half the reason I was let get my Puma in the first place.
Slayllian; which page were your exhaust pics on do you remember?

What have you guys got/wish you had?
Any videos or audio on similar systems?

Lots of the youtube videos are aftermarket backbones fitted to big V6s and naturally aspirated 4.7L engines, and thus sound nothing like what my poor 1.7 would end up with. Once it's changed it'd be expensive enough to put the old one back on I'd imagine, I'd like to get it right first time.

XIIVVX said:
I'm not sure I'd invest in stainless at this stage in a Puma lifecycle.

It will end up being the smartest box in the scrapyard.

Horrid thought I know, but we have to be realistic.

Have to disagree with you on this I'm afraid
If that's your outlook, why bother doing anything to a Puma?
Mild steel backboxes aren't that much cheaper, and at least if you did decide to scrap the car, you could remove the exhaust and it should still be rust free and in a good saleable condition.
Cheers
Damo

I have no comment on whether you should get a stainless or mild steel exhaust,alleged performance or standard,but purely in response to your comments on cost mild steel ones back boxes can be had for as little as £33.50 delivered

I think one or two members have this one which I think has a good price / looks balance imo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-ZETEC-BACK-BOX-REAR-SILENCER-SYSTEM-/400249262340?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d30b71104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was referring to a performance mild steel backbox being not that much cheaper, obviously.
I also meant one of decent build quality as well.
That one you have linked to does look decent for the money.

sickaroll said:
Goal is to get something that'll yield a deeper, 'throaty' note without sounding like angry insects at motorway speeds. Her Yaris makes an awful racket on the motorway, half the reason I was let get my Puma in the first place.
Slayllian; which page were your exhaust pics on do you remember?

What have you guys got/wish you had?
Any videos or audio on similar systems?

Lots of the youtube videos are aftermarket backbones fitted to big V6s and naturally aspirated 4.7L engines, and thus sound nothing like what my poor 1.7 would end up with. Once it's changed it'd be expensive enough to put the old one back on I'd imagine, I'd like to get it right first time.

Its on page 9 near the bottom mate :eek:k:

Thanks, that is sweet looking alright.

Funny, I was planning to paint my calipers too, torn between Ford blue or red (2001 Black edition with 'F1' style wheels).
Might wait until I do a 280mm conversion, or maybe just when I get bored. What sort of paint did you use?

Thanks. the callipers? I did a temp job until I take them off and paint in the summer. I used Hammerite smooth red.

Back