New Ford Puma Thunder owner from Newcastle

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tameracingdriver

Hello, I'm Paul from Newcastle.

I've just bought a Ford Puma Thunder for £1400 with no rust, as a cheap runaround to see me through the next couple of tight years.

My previous car (which I still own, but is for sale, in case anyone is interested ;)) is a Nissan 350Z GT Roadster. It was a fantastic car, but very thirsty, but they sound amazing, and are definitely an event to drive. I'll be sad to see it go but I resent super unleaded @ sub 20 MPG (which realistically is what you'll get if you like to enjoy it) and £475 road tax. Great cars though and I recommend you try one if you can afford to run it.

I've also had, among others, a DC2 ITR, Eunos RS-Ltd, MR2 Turbo, RS Clio 172+182, Mk2 Golf GTI, E36 328 Sport and a good few others to boot, so I've had some reasonably nice cars.

The Puma is fantastic though, I knew it was well rated, but I got it for economy (but with a bit of fun) reasons, but I recently arranged a NE Pistonhead run, and took that and led the way, and everyone was very impressed with how good it was on the corners, and wondered if I'd fettled it (completely standard!).

Cars like this are great fun, because they are fast enough to feel fun, but not too fast so you don't get into too much bother (unlike the 350Z which will pull pretty convincingly all the way up to 140 leptons and beyond) and you can drives the door handles off it.

And it gets 30 - 40 MPG depending on how its driven, very good, who needs a diesel?

Mine runs really well, has FSH but is making what I think is like a "pulley" noise noticable when idling, sounds a little loud, but the engine is perfectly smooth under use, and the idle speed is constant. What do you think that could be? That's just what it sounds like anyway.

Also, I think I would like to change the stereo - it has the standard 6 CD changer, but is it just me, or does it sound a bit crap as standard? What is the most cost effective way to decent sound quality?

If I keep, I'm going to replace all the tyres (continentals on the front and 1x pirelli and 1x ditchfinder on the back) with Uniroyal Rainsports, since they're cheap and good. As I can't see any rust, I'll get it fully rustproofed before next winter. Might as well keep it nice.

Also, the brakes, well they're "adequate", so is there any easy way to improve these once the brake pads are spent?

Anyway, hello ! :D

Not sure on the 'pulley' noise you describe, has the cambelt been done?

Useful guide for fitting larger spec brakes

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cambelt was fitted 3000 miles ago.

I could always do a vid of the noise but not sure how it would come across.

Welcome, just down the road from you in Stockton :thumbs:

I know how you feel with the 350z, was after one myself but eventually went for an even less economic RX8 :lol:

Looking to get it LPG'd but the dumbass who I rang on Friday seems to be ignoring me....doh!

Greetings. I'm in Durham, and I'll be driving my Puma around as soon as I get the damn thing mended!

Welcome aboard. I have also just replaced my S Plate Puma with a 51 plate Thunder model and I am living in Jarrow! :lol:

Hey thanks for the welcome, not been on for a while.

The "pulley" noise was the waterpump which died just before it was about to go in for repair, it broke the crank pulley as well. I ended up having those and the cambelt done. Expensive. Never mind.

Drives even better now, engine is actually quite smooth and refined at low revs which is a surprise but nicely rorty at high revs, amazing how much that knackered water pump was taking away from that.

Still enjoy throwing it around the bends. It's a grower this. People often debate between this and the RS Clio 172 but seriously if the Puma had the same pace (and better brakes) there would be no discussion, as it is, I still prefer the Puma :lol:

Latest posts

Back