New Headlights

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyW

Well as a few of you may know, I treated myself to some brand new headlight units a couple of weeks back :D

Yes, I am fussy :p But I wanted to tidy up the front a little, and my old scratch and hazed ones had annoyed me since I've owned the car.

I wanted to wait until the deal was done and I received them before I posted about this, as I still can't believe the price I got them for :shock: and wanted to make sure that it all went through ok.

Bearing in mind that these are £250 a piece from Ford, I rang up a company called AG Autos who did a group buy for the "other site" back in 2007 I think. The deal back then was £225 for the pair.

On AG Autos' website (http://www.doormirror-headlight.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) they go for £128.90 each. When I rang them up and asked if they could do the same deal as the one they did a couple of years ago (I never mentioned the price) they said that there was no way they could do it for the same price, as Bosch had had 6 price increases over the past couple of years. Fair enough I thought. So when asked what deal they could do, they said they'd do them at £105 each if I ordered a pair.

Hang on... :? That's cheaper than a couple of years ago :wall:

So I obviously I didn't say anything, and I ordered them straightaway at £210 for the pair - well chuffed! :D

I fitted them last week as soon as they arrived and fitted new indicators and dipped headlights (thanks Zara), my current sidelights and I thought I might as well put my old Halfords ones to use and put those in the main beam.

I had the car out last night, and decided to try them out once it got dark. When I turned them on, I couldn't believe the difference :shock:

The road in front of me was lit like I've never seen before in a Puma. In fact, it was lit like I've only ever seen on modern cars - really intense light and you can actually see where the beam ends on the road, instead of it fading away if you know what I mean. The only thing is they were angled down a lot so I couldn't see that far ahead. But I think that they may need adjusting slightly (higher), so will get this done at some point.

In conclusion, yes brighter and upgraded bulbs can make a difference. And obviously a HID kit will make a substantial difference. But it's suprising the difference that new lenses/units can make. To be honest, I didn't expect any difference. After all, I bought them for cosmetic reasons, not to improve the performance of them (I don't have the car out at night much). I know that the new bulbs play will a tiny role, but I'd even think about putting standard bulbs back in for a while to see what they're like - I was that impressed!

Once I get them aligned properly (if they actually need it, but I feel they do) I'll put a little update on this thread :)

Sweet! I want a spare set so i can take mine out and wash them, 10 years of crap inside them now.

Great news Andy :) Shining bodywork and shining lights now too.

Always makes me chuckle that people moan about the Puma's headlights and put HID bulbs etc in, never thinking twice that it is often the actual plastic lens that is refracting the light through scratches etc. A simple proper clean inside and out can do wonders.

:D

still couldnt justify spending £200 on headlights..... :p

Dal said:
Always makes me chuckle that people moan about the Puma's headlights and put HID bulbs etc in,

makes me laugh when they spend £40 on bulbs aswell :shock:
I pay no more than a tenner for a set and do just as good a job, if not better than the halfrauds bright ones.... and theyve lasted me aaaagggges!

DradusContact said:
Sweet! I want a spare set so i can take mine out and wash them, 10 years of crap inside them now.

Well you can have my old ones Matt if you like? For a small price obviously... :-D :p

zarablackcoupe said:
makes me laugh when they spend £40 on bulbs aswell :shock:
I pay no more than a tenner for a set and do just as good a job, if not better than the halfrauds bright ones.... and theyve lasted me aaaagggges!

Yeah they are very good Zara :eek:k:

Will let you know what they're like after they've been aligned properly though.

I just hope these ones last me longer than the others, but I know yours have been fine so that's why I'm happy to give them another go. Plus they'll match my sidelights better :)

AndyW said:
DradusContact said:

Well you can have my old ones Matt if you like? For a small price obviously... :-D :p

what condition are they in? you say theyre scratched obviously, but how bad?

Well everyone that's seen them says they're in good condition, and they'd be right - I'm just fussy.

The drivers side has a few hairline scratches near the bottom of the lense and the passenger said has a scratch near the top. But you can only see them when you look really close.

Drads.... theres bugger all wrong with them tbh.. theyr in really good condition...

a couple of minor wear and tear scratches.... but we all have them :)

Well there isnt though..... theyr no different to mine tbh....

Latest posts

Back