New member alert,

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauley

Hi guys, got my first Puma in January, a 2002 Magnum Grey Thunder. Since owning it I've covered 4,500 miles and I've tracked every single fuel tank on road trip le, averaging about 40mpg which is simply superb for such a revvy and nippy car. I'm about to start a project thread on here for it, and will try include screenshots of my MPG tracking for those like me, who like that kinda thing. Funny thing is I redline it a fair bit and still get 40+!!! Anyways since owning I haven't done anything except change the ludicrously big aerial for a shortened one, and the car is totally stock except the previous owner put in a rubbish JVC stereo.

My Plans
Shocks and springs (30mm drop)
Replace wishbones and every bush
Go back to original 6006 stereo or settle for a 6000
Have paints shop look into the odd little scratches and of course tiny bubbles on rear arch
Underseal the car

That's pretty much it, as I think lowering it a tad and then trying to take it back in time to 2002 (appearance quality wise of course, not Dr Who style time travel) will be enough for me.

Mods start this bank holiday weekend and for anyone who's taken the time to read perhaps you may know be able to help. Today I ordered a Gmax 30mm kit (both springs and shocks), 2 front wishbones, front and back top mounts. Is there any nuts and bolts I'll need or could just change as its useful too, that won't come included with that lot, preferably with ford part numbers.... Need to get them for Saturday morning latest. Thanks for reading :)

Sorry just thought of other things to add to my list, look into changing the dials or dial lights, as maybe it's just me but when driving at night the bright green on white dials I find distracting, and also only half of my windscreen actually does the quick clear thing and guess what, typically it's the passenger side that works! Lol

When doing the front suspension I would look at changing the top bearings. I have just picked up a pair today for mine but I am at work tonight so do not have the part number to hand. I will also be changing the drop links while it is all off. Bearings & drop links cost me £84 with Ford employee discount. From memory I think the drop links were £42 each & the brgs about £5 each before discount. I had to get them ordered in as they did not hold as stock. You can get them cheaper if you want but I just went original. You might also want to look at the rear beam bushes but they are a bitch to remove.

Good luck with the work. I'm replacing front & rear suspension with coilovers at the weekend along with the rear beam & adding 30mm spacers.

Thanks for the welcomes guys. Not sure I'll get my drop links from Ford at £84, I'd want them made out of gold for that, I'm pretty tight lol. Bearings are a good shout though Trueblue. I have been reading "Project Aiya" by Slaykilian and "The £650 Puma" by The Arch Bishop. Those guys have put in some serious effort, fair play! I'll have to go steady as seems easy to get carried away, such nice cars.

Just looked at my bill.
Drop links £42.97 + VAT each. Part ID 1130273
Bearings £5.80 + VAT each. Part ID 1002513

Altogether with my Ford discount cost me £82.66
You can get the drop links a lot cheaper on EBay but I just wanted to try and keep to Original parts.

Buying OEM parts is never going to be cheap, it's a bit less painful with discount but still expensive.
Good luck at the weekend.

I don't think there's anything near Swindon on there though - nearest I can think of is in Bristol. :?

Hi and welcome fellow Magnum Grey Thunder owner, by the way! :thumbs:

Cheers rob, Bristol is a bit far :-(

Had a minor scare today, came out from work and noticed a bit of oil under the car. Poked my head under to see oil all under the engine. Drove home looked up on the forums which seem to point to the rocker cover gasket so went back out to investigate. Yep oil going from the top right down the back, that's why I need a garage.

Rob I love that colour, searched a while to find one.

Back