New phone help

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Right, this is my dilemma.

I'm virtually out of contract on my iPhone 3GS and it's looking a little battered now. I had eyes peeled for the supposed iPhone 5, but beings as that is now just a iPhone 4 with a new processor, better camera and gimmicky voice control, I think I'll pass. Plus my iPad does 90% of what the iPhone does, and I hardly use any of the iPhone apps at all anymore.

So the answer would seem to be Android, but after so many years of being an iBore, I have no idea what I'm looking for. I've narrowed down the selection to the Galaxy S2, and HTC Sensation.

I'm still possibly considering the BlackBerry Bold 9900, but I'm not sure if it would drive me up the wall or not.

Recommendations please!

Both of those HTC look like great phones. The Sensation XE is expected soon if not already out?
How about the EVO 3D?

Not keen on the idea of 3D. Why on earth do you need that in a phone?

Evo 3D looks a bit gimmicky, I've give it time for them to develop the software and apps before bothering with it.

Best Android device out there at the moment is the Galaxy S2.
The S3 is due out next Spring / Summer so it will be the flagship handset for months to come.

Haven't looked at the Sensation yet, I'll be looking into it tonight as my contract is up next month as well.

After owning the Sony Ericsson X1 and the X10 I wouldn't bother with them again, Sony are stupidly slow at releasing the firmware updates leaving it miles behind in terms of performance.

EDIT: Just had a quick clance at the Sensation, looks to be the model up from my Desire HD which in all honesty was perfect for me anyway, will report back later! :D

I like the look of the Galaxy, but I'm concerned it's a bit big. The Sensation looks OK, albeit a bit plasticky. Unfortunatley as I've been an iBore for so long I have no idea what's going on in the world of the Android...

I still really like my Desire and the later models have been even more of an improvement (ergonomically and aesthetically).

Being an experienced and long time Android user, I can vouch for the S2, it is by far the best phone I have ever used, it is quite simply amazing and excellently designed. I highly recommend it.

How they managed to cram in all that technology and power into something so thin and light is beyond me, the battery power is really good to, I bought extra batteries and I haven't had to use them once to date.

It is a little larger than a lot of phones but that is very welcome as it's all screen!
Fit's in pocket perfectly, hardly knew it was there, had to keep checking.

If you do purchase a Samsung Galaxy S2, the SGP Neo Hybrid case would be a wise purchase, comes with a screen protector and protects every part of the phone from scratches and bumps, and adds a little weight and depth to it so you can feel it better in your pocket.

I think I'm probably going to go for one of these

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-sensation-943466/review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's very close between this and the S2. I'm slightly undecided about the S2, mainly as my Samsung Tocco I had before the iPhone was utter shite, and I think it's a little too big. Plus I think I prefer the HTC front end over Samsung's effort.

Went down to Vodafone and picked up a Sensation today, feels a little smoother than my Desire HD, most likely down to the dual core CPU.
Love the fact that as soon as I logged into my google account it auto downloaded all the apps I had on my Desire HD, save me dicking around re-doing them all manually.

If you're changing over from an iPhone you'll be amazed at how much you can customise it to your own taste.

N.B. to Yip
You'll be pleased to know I got them to knock the asking price down from £141 to £20 and even the guy in the shop was amazed at how many free bundles and vouchers I'd had put on my account! :p

I've been watching a lot of video comparisons, and from what I can tell the iPhone 4S has only just caught up in most areas aside from screen size. It seems like they are compensating for that with gimmicky voice control software.

I like the idea of all the customisability too - it makes you realise just how locked down iOS is. That's not saying it's bad - I think iOS is great on the iPad with it's bigger screen.

Marcus000 said:
N.B. to Yip
You'll be pleased to know I got them to knock the asking price down from £141 to £20 and even the guy in the shop was amazed at how many free bundles and vouchers I'd had put on my account! :p
Well done....glad to see people thinking of discounts at every opportunity as you do NOT have to pay full asking price for anything you buy if your prepared to do a little homework or negotiate :eek:k:

But, how much are you paying a month for what is essentially a phone that is only needed to make phone calls at the end of the day!!! All the other bells and whistles aren't needed (maybe e-mail is a benefit but not essential if you have a PC/laptop at home) so the majority of your rental is simply because you CAN have them, as you get older and more wiser you begin to realise you don't need them.

The industry realises this thus the reason they target young people as they'll fall for hype etc about why you need your phone to do everything that you don't actual need doing. Weird how the latest phones (a device supposedly designed for people to talk to each other) are actually killing the art of conversation....who would have thought....lol

I put my phone to very good use, not just calling and texting, messenger'ing, watching films, using it as a dropbox, streaming bassdrive (an internet only dnb station) to my headphones and my car via bluetooth, checking mails, playing games, browsing the web, iplayer, sat nav, speed camera detection, I use torque to read my OBD2 in my puma, speedometer, sending people google maps, social networking, taking pics and videos, the calendar and notepad for my work, exchange client, i use it as a VLC remote when I'm watching films, tube map, comic and news reader, war driving + lots of other cool things, list just goes on. It's like a handy tool for life, thats not to say I'd be lost without it, but sometimes I do wonder if I could drive to places I've never been before without it, without getting lost or stressed the f**k out :p.
Only thing I've never found a use for is video calling, anybody actually do any video calling?

tekz said:
I put my phone to very good use, not just calling and texting, messenger'ing, watching films, using it as a dropbox, streaming bassdrive (an internet only dnb station) to my headphones and my car via bluetooth, checking mails, playing games, browsing the web, iplayer, sat nav, speed camera detection, I use torque to read my OBD2 in my puma, speedometer, sending people google maps, social networking, taking pics and videos, the calendar and notepad for my work, exchange client, i use it as a VLC remote when I'm watching films, tube map, comic and news reader, war driving + lots of other cool things, list just goes on. It's like a handy tool for life, thats not to say I'd be lost without it, but sometimes I do wonder if I could drive to places I've never been before without it, without getting lost or stressed the f**k out :p.
Only thing I've never found a use for is video calling, anybody actually do any video calling?

With you all the way on this one, I use my 3GS for just about everything and would be lost without it now. I admit a don't use some of the more gimmicky apps but Nav, Email, Msgr, IPod, IBooks, Organiser and 3G/wifi on the go etc are sooo useful and are used constantly. (virtually every post to this forum has been on my phone).

Also I would say that because everything is in one place, I don't need to purchase a sat Nav, kindle etc (I read lots), mp3 player....

It is getting battered now though and various bits don't work so well. I did think replacing with a 4S was a no brainer, but having played with a friends Galaxy 2 the other week and again in store the other day I'm seriously considering switching to Android....

HTC One X is out Friday....and if you're going to get an android phone, that's the one you want. 4.7" screen, quadcore....basically the mutts nuts.

My Sensation is due ICS any day now - its just Orange who are slacking. O2 have had it for weeks now!

When they went from 2.1 to 2.2, Orange were one of the very last ones to make it available as they tend to load it up with their own crap. :roll:

Back