New Puma Owner - comments appreciated.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wackyraces

I have recently purchased my first Puma – R reg / 1.7 silver / 107k miles / £1,000 (second car in family, being used as the station runner)
Engine runs well, but as expected for a relatively cheap model there are a few ‘issues’ that need looking at, and I would appreciate some thoughts and comments to the following…

1. Rear windscreen de-mister only clears one line, not whole windscreen (cleaning contacts with brasso is one suggestion I have heard)
2. Heater - doesn’t blow any air on settings 1,2 or 3 and only cold at full blast on setting 4 – is this just the Heater Control Valve or something more sinister?
3. Driver side electric window – goes down without problem, then when going up seems to get stuck on one side so have to give a helping hand (and avoid fingers getting trapped at top!) to align correctly.
4. Boot – opened boot after it had rained to find water ran into boot!
5. Oil – should I use 5W30 or 10W40? (as it needs a top up)
6. Paintwork need a little attention – but no rust so least of my worries – best to get other matters sorted first.

Can’t think of anything else at the moment, but hope that some of you experienced Puma owners will be able to help me here. Enjoying the car so far (especially since the previous station runners have been 2 metros and a M reg fiesta!)

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin.

I could be corrected here, but due to the shape of the rear window, when the boot is opened, the water runs over the edge and straight into the boot.
I get this too, I have just resigned myself to opening the boot about a foot and waiting for the water to run off before I open it fully!

Tony

Alreet mate,

The boot does tend to leak after its been raining when you open it... a flaw of the puma unfortunately
No rust - geez you got a good un :)

Your lack of heating could be the HCV as its a common failure, have you tried getting a new heater control panel or even from a scrappy to rule out that bein an issue with the blowers?

Oil - 5w30 Semi Synth is recommended

:eek:k:

welcome along :)

Hi and welcome along.

A few suggestions:

1. Probably a broken line in the rear windscreen - need to find it and possibly reconnect using a soldering iron is one fix I've heard.
2. That'll be your Heater resister - see this thread >here the "Heater fan working on 4, NOT 1,2,3" bit<
3. Probably needs some silicone spray >similar problem here<
4. That's a "feature" ;)
5. 5W30 semi synthetic. Although Ford have now stopped producing this in their Formula E, I have been assured by Opie oils (a well regarded expert on engine oil) that their new Formula F fully synthetic 5W30 oil is fine.

:thumbs:

I agree with all Dals comments so i'll just say Hi & Welcome too.

Oh I might add that silicone might help for a while but you'll get smeary marks on the windows for ages.

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

I'm not too mechanically minded... but reckon that even a duffer like myself should be able to tackle the heater and window problems. There's always my friendly local garage if I get stuck!

there is a some stuff called electro connector which you can get from halfords etc which does work as i have used it in the past
hth :eek:k:

welcome along

Welcome :D, and, if you are looking to buy the stuff from halfords, I reccomend searching for the same product from elsewhere, for probably half the price, halfords are so expensive! lol :].

Good luck with everything..

Back