New Rear Suspension

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLaw

Mountney sent me a new set of GAMX suspension to replace the "faulty" suspension that I had to return for them to test.

Fitted the new suspension today - so I just want to run this past you to see if we have done anything wrong:

The fronts have been fitted – strut / added spring / added top cover / added bearing / added nut – tightened / added top mount / inserted into car / added spring vibration damper (inside engine) – tightened nut to 35 lbf ft. Clamped the bottom part of the strut and tightened to 63 lbf ft. Added drop link (37 lbf ft) and bolt / bracket for the brake hose. All done.

Car seems stiffer on front end and lower (but this is to be measured tomorrow and is yet to be driven).

The rears have also been fitted. Purchased new top mounts (as the old ones according to their technician were faulty).

Anyway – let’s see if we have this right.

Rear strut / add spring / add top cover / add top mount / put circlip into the groove above the top mount / decompress springs. Insert into the car with the notch in the top mount in the hole in car. Add retainer and bolt up to 25 lbf ft. Bolt bottom part of strut to the car to 89 lbf ft.

Add wheels and lower onto suspension.

All good so far.

However in doing so – the retainers inside the car became loose and we were able to spin them very freely.

We have not moved the car – so suggestions as to what the issue is here would be very helpful.

Do I need to shorten the bump stop / are 2 circlips required (and if so why hasn't GMAX provided 2 and where would it go).

Having spoken to a GMAX / Mountney technician this morning - we require a second circlip that sits between the bottom of the top mount and the top of the top mount (to stop the top mount dropping and/or the suspension rod being pushed up) ???

Any ideas?

No idea about Gmax products but did you replace the small clips with new ones?
They can stretch when removed and then become too big. It is recommended to replace the clips with new ones...

Latest posts

Back