New to forum - got an odd problem

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan funk

Hi,

Had my silver ’99 1.7 for about a year now, freebie off my sis as she was only quoted £400 when she went to trade it in but had too much love for it to let it go that way. I have invested a nearly a grand on it though so not exactly free but that should get me through this year’s MOT so not bad for 2 yrs (if it stays this way till Sept 2012). Costs are for 2 MOT’s brake pipes & suspension bits – service – Cam Belt. Got 140k on the clock.

I put the car in for a service and they identified some areas that would fail when the MOT comes up in Sept. The area I am having a problem with is the suspension. They listed the top mounts as knackered. I looked at the MOT from last year and they were listed as changed then, as such I took it to the previous garage to have a word as I had only done 6k in 11 months, they got it on the ramps and said yep thems knackered, got in touch with supplier and got me replacements that evening for free (not free labour though), as it was I was fitting them myself anyway so took them away and went to work, removed the old ones and other than being a few mill shorter they looked in good nick, the suspension still had a little movement when wheel hanging but a bit less than before.

Took it to the garage that had done them the previous year as had to get some brake pipes changed (good old rusty ones, another story there for later), and when I got back he said he had checked the suspension, removed the top cap (in the engine bay above the strut, below the weight) and had put it on the lathe and take 5-7 mill off the shaft and this has tightened it all up.

Anyone else have experience of this? Which bit was worn out??? Why can’t I find replacement top caps on the web (not that that would help as the had to be modified to counter the change in another component)?

Also, why would my car go all jumpy/lurchey when off throttle decelerating at about 2k revs?

And does anyone have a front suspension gaiter – ’99 1.7 in the Notts / Leicester area? Mine is all torn up for some reason.

Cheers,

Cheers for the pic.

Prior to the milling of the top cap the gap was a lot more than that, post milling it is more like that, maybe a bit higher.

I can't work out what effect the top cap has on the stability of the strut when the car is holding its own weight, however I am not much of an engineer and sometimes miss the glaringly obvious.

Welcome :eek:k:

Mine doesn't have a gap at all, probably due to the fitting of coilovers and a half nut to close it off. Don't know why but I feel better having it tight although it previously caused a noise after a while when turning the steering lock to lock as the mount skids on the strut tower. A little lubricant soon stopped that though.

Back