Nico Rosberg Retires

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, thought it was a joke at first but fair play for someone of that profile to so publicly put his family first. I'm not his biggest fan, I have to admit that I wanted Hamilton to win (even though I know he's an idiot who thinks he's some sort of rap-god), but I've found new levels of respect for him now.

Big question, who is filling his seat!!!

I will never forget the Brazilian GP when Weber and Rosberg were Williams drivers. There was a first turn clash between them (as usually that season) and they were both heading for the pits for repairs. Nico had his front wing done but the instructions from the pit wall were: Priority Nico, priority Nico! (meaning the Aussie had to pace himself to allow for the time needed to replace it on Nico's car) but Nico went off without front wing and crashed. So Weber replied in his Aussie english: 'Don't think so, mate, Britney's in the wall!....' :lol: :lol:

Yes, it would really be interesting who get's second Mercedes seat. My bet is on, wait for it, Alonso.... :!:

I reckon it'll be a younger driver. Need to remind ourselves that Hamilton has been at F1 for 9 years now and isn't a young pup.

Wouldn't mind betting Mercedes will be phoning Christian Horner for Verstappen. Although you'd also think that Mercedes will want a German driver again...

... Nothing but respect for his putting his family before everything else, including the £36m he still had coming from his contract. Not that he'll be short of a bob or two of course but can't think of too many folks who have taken a step like that. Even though I also wanted Lewis to win, especially after Malaysia, he could certainly take a leaf out of Nico's book re. priorities, focus and commitment (and dignity) at times.

As to replacement, Verstappen for future-proofing, Vettel for immediate "fit"... though both contracted so neither easy.

Hmmm.. Wehrlein now I think about it..

After watching Sundays race I think Lewis ought to apply for German Citizenship, where has the "English" sense of fair play gone now?
My support is now with Riciardo, a proper nice bloke (like Jenson)
Barry

Didn't see this one coming. I think having a family and the stress of competing against Lewis took its toll. Shame we won't see him defend his title but it's a clever decision to go out at the top. He would likely get beaten by Lewis again next year, and as the cars are so different next year perhaps Mercedes won't have such an advantage anymore. Mr. Alonso would be desperate to get the seat but can't imagine they will buy him out of his expensive McLaren contract. Just read that Bottas may be a sensible option as he is managed by Toto Wolf and someone who probably won't create as many fireworks as Alonso would.

Dal said:
[post]358689[/post] Hmmm.. Wehrlein now I think about it..
This.....especially as he was suprisingly overlooked over his teammate for a move elsewhere.
The conspiracy theories over Hamiltons reliability issues seem more likely now. Plus the reason they were stressed out unduly in last race that Hamilton should get a move on.

In short...
They knew Rosburg would retire if he won championship as he'd had enough of F1 so they tried as best they could to make that happen. Then stopped any move on Wehrlein for the empty seat in their garage.

Supposedly (only being able to go by what the press releases and news say) that when Mercedes asked if Alonso was interested they promised they would keep the exact same "equal terms" as they had with Hamilton - Rosberg.

Now that Bottas is the chosen one, does anyone think they will stick to the same terms? Here (in Spain) they titled the decision as "Hamilton gets the Barrichelo he wanted".

We will see how it goes this year, but my bet is on Mercedes only having one driver fighting for the title.

(And hopefully McClaren will finally finish the car and look like the F1 team they are, rather than looking like an amateur team with too much money!)

Lewis will definitely have the upper hand in the early part of the season. I predict Bottas will start cautiously but ultimately do very well. He seems the sort of character who will avoid all the drama and just get his head down and get on with it.

Also on reflection I feel a bit cheated by Rosberg retiring: understand why he did but it just seems a bit cowardly now: A real racer would want to defend his title.

Fanwheel said:
[post]359769[/post]Also on reflection I feel a bit cheated by Rosberg retiring: understand why he did but it just seems a bit cowardly now: A real racer would want to defend his title.

But as a new father you have to respect his reasoning. Racing is one thing, family is another. Not short of a few bob as he's staying on as a Mercedes ambassador, just not racing.

I wouldn't bet against a 2018/2019 return though. Bottas has a 1 year contract.. :pose2:

There's an old saying in racing that you lose half a second in speed for every child you have in your racing career.

oilburner said:
[post]359776[/post] There's an old saying in racing that you lose half a second in speed for every child you have in your racing career.
That'll be the extra weight. They really shouldn't allow passenger seats in those race cars.

95f867749e40e70e6b35b9496203f98f.jpg

Frank said:
[post]359778[/post]
oilburner said:
[post]359776[/post] There's an old saying in racing that you lose half a second in speed for every child you have in your racing career.
That'll be the extra weight. They really shouldn't allow passenger seats in those race cars.

That actually maybe the reason for the McClarens season, maybe they had a boot full of Japanese engineers taking notes?!?!

Latest posts

Back