No more tax discs from Oct 2014

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
The tax disc to show motorists have paid vehicle excise duty is to be replaced with an electronic system, Chancellor George Osborne is to announce in his Autumn Statement.

The disc was introduced in 1921 but officials say it is no longer needed with the DVLA and police now relying on an electronic register.

The new system will allow people to pay the charge by monthly direct debit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25223631" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're proposing that the 6 month cost will be 5% more than paying upfront, where as it's 10% at resent. Direct debit will incur a 5% additional charge over a yearly upfront payment too.

Ahh...just had a look, I was thinking by debit card when it says monthly direct debit....that makes sense now :lol:

I pay it all by CC currently and it cost me £2.50 but the cashback plus interest I get on keeping the money in my savings account outweighs that cost by the time I have to pay it :lol:

We're only talking pennies but you know what they say about looking after them ;)

Knowing the way things always work out in this country will it work out harder to get taxed and more expensive in the long run. Sorry to put a downer on it :grin:
Barry

Back