Noisy engine - but only from cold

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattspuma

When I start my 1.7 Puma from cold, and begin to drive, there is a noisy ‘ticking’ sound from the engine. I don’t think its the tappets because the noise is only there (and gets much worse) when I’m applying throttle; tappets would probably be tapping all the time regardless of throttle right?

It goes after about 5 minutes driving but I don’t want to be doing any permanent damage. Otherwise the engine is fine, runs smoothly enough, doesn’t use excessive oil, and seems powerful, oil changed 2,000 miles ago.

I think the symptoms sound like ‘piston slap’ but Im no mechanic!

Has anybody else got / heard of noisy Puma engines from cold?

Thanks! :grin:

i would start looking for another engine,sounds like you have low oil pressure or oil pump could be on its way out

edit try some stp oil treatment,it does work most of the time :eek:k:

Can low oil pressure be solved somehow? or is it a good idea to get a new oil pump?

ill try oil treatment tho if you think thats a good place to start tho.

Cheers

I have the same problem a noisy engine from cold but disappears when the engine is warm. The problem only occured after having new timing belt fitted, I don't know if there is any conection? Does anyone have any ideas?

If it were bottom end, say big ends you would hear a low knocking noise under load/acceleration, small ends rattle away at engine speed but would not stop. if it goes away after it's warm then it's almost certainly tappets mate. Get a hydraulic lifter treatment from unipart or wynns, follow the instructions and then give it a good quality oil and new filter. If that doesn't clear it you may have to remove the lifters and clean them although this would be best left to a mechanic as the timing belt has to be removed. P.s low oil pressure would bring your oil light on. Hope this helps.

And your oil light on usually means you'll lose a big bearing sooner or later.

Latest posts

Back