normal manifold to 4-2-1 manifold

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonskull13

hi i have been working on my puma today to put a 4-2-1- manifold on got all bolts off the old manifold and the 5 for the cat took top off then unbolted 2 extra nuts that go from the cat to the engine and undone the 2 bolts where the front manifold goes to the middle exhaust the trouble i have is that the cat wont come out as not enough space do i need to pull the drivers side drive shaft to free up the space for removal or is there an easier way any help would be brilliant
thankyou in advance to anyone who can help

jason :roll: :twisted:

wasnt as easy as i thought to change manifold from standered to 4-2-1- manifold tryed loosening engine mountains to no joy so i did what i thought to do and remove the drive shaft from drivers side gearbox and out then thought it should come out because of the extra room but there still was the bracket that joined the cat to the engine on and was a night mare first bolt snapped then the second bolt rounded off so had to get the grinder out to cut head off bolt. soon as this was off gently eased cat out, put 4-2-1- in and put all back together to get drive shaft out i had to take drivers side front brakes off disconnect lower wish bone and the track rod end off all back together now just need new bolts to join manifold to middle of exhaust put a bit of gearbox oil in and replace earth cable that goes from the engine to the firewall as i snapped the one on cant wait to start it up tommorow hope this helps anyone whos planning on doing this sorry no photos as my phone is being repaired

jason

:lol: :p :pose:

Wow! I'm so glad I paid someone to do it!

I found the Puma ran OK after, but an ECU reset improved performance a lot. Did you manage to put the heatshield back on? I can't get mine back on. :?

Milkie said:
[post]348177[/post] Wow! I'm so glad I paid someone to do it!

I found the Puma ran OK after, but an ECU reset improved performance a lot. Did you manage to put the heatshield back on? I can't get mine back on. :?

hi i havent tried my heatshild back on yet as have got to remove snapped and ground off bolts on the bracket that holds the cat to the engine but will be trying it after the bottom 2 bolts should go in then i will attatch the top 2 heatshilds to the bottom 1 i will let you know how i do wont be till after thursday though.

hi have had my puma in the air today at the garage to see the way the exhaust goes and to find the second lamba sensor, i found out that my puma doesnt have a second lamba sensor it is a V reg 1999 the garage man said i didnt need one and it also doesnt have a engine management light and it might pass the M.O.T. without the sport cat so might not put it on but still have work to do on the exhaust to get it straight and flow through the heat shild properly and since ive put the 4-2-1- on noticed it is quiker phone came back tonight so i will be back on the photos when doing more work.

Jason

:thumbs: :pose: :eek:k:

rnnicol said:
[post]348748[/post] What manifold did you use ?
hi i bought a second hand sportex 4-2-1 manifold for £60 and is good as ive seen people with problems but as is second hand any problems were fixed buy previous owner

Jason

:p :thumbs: :pose2: :eek:k:

Ahh, that's seems to be the way forward, I need a whole new system, but didn't want to mix and match, as I've read they don't always fit together, but your idea is good, I'll keep my eyes open for a used one.

Latest posts

Back