OBD2 Code Reader

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

I have a tablet/Android/Torque setup and now know where the OBD socket is and, er, that's it. Well, that and I've figured out I need a code reader to plug into it.

There is a vast range on Amazon, i.e. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009NPAORC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B009NPAORC&linkCode=as2&tag=lanarchcouk-21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I've no idea which one to choose.

Can someone suggest one, in a 'I already use this on my 1.7 Puma and it works really well' type way?

its in the bottom of the a pillar on the left hand side under a flapp in the carpet :)

Frank said:
I have a tablet/Android/Torque setup and now know where the OBD socket is and, er, that's it. Well, that and I've figured out I need a code reader to plug into it.

There is a vast range on Amazon, i.e. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009NPAORC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B009NPAORC&linkCode=as2&tag=lanarchcouk-21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I've no idea which one to choose.

Can someone suggest one, in a 'I already use this on my 1.7 Puma and it works really well' type way?

I am using USB ELM327. It works fine. At the same time, the same type in WiFi version is slow and sometimes works, sometimes not. All in all for the money I'd say USB version is OK, but nothing more.
This is what I am using and works OK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390665722455?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure about one that's called 'supper' but it's a better size than the one I have which sticks out.

The one Wild.E has posted isn't Bluetooth but I have this one in both USB and Blueotth models and it seems to work fine.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm fine with the idea of USB, rather than Bluetooth, for my limited requirements for this, i.e. diag/error code stuff.

Either would be OK, but it strikes me the direct USB is just one less thing to go wrong/not work.

Frank said:
..and now know where the OBD socket is
Cartman said:
its in the bottom of the a pillar on the left hand side under a flapp in the carpet :)
Thanks. (insert puzzled smilie here) ...must be a language thing. :)

But the cable won't connect to your phone I doubt.. you'll need to put it in a laptop.

I bought one - don't work. It appears they're a bit hit and miss (the cheap ones that is)

red said:
But the cable won't connect to your phone I doubt.. you'll need to put it in a laptop.
My tablet has a USB to mini USB adaptor and Torque Pro these days accepts USB signals. But thanks for pointing that out, as a USB device would not be the right choice for most/all smartphone users, I reckon.

I also have a netbook with XP on it that I could use this on, which would sit nicely on the passenger seat or footwell. Bluetooth would be a more versatile option, but I confess that I still have a slight aversion to it after spending ages and ages pairing stuff up years back.

Bluetooth is pretty good these days, but still can be a pita

The bluetooth on the cheap adapters can be a bit weird as the hardware information is typically cloned if they're from China.

If you get one and it doesn't work just send it back I guess.

I have one that has the right protocols, but doesn't work on my early Puma. Works on every other flipping car though. I'm not sure they work on earlier ECUs to be honest.

The Arch Bishop said:
I'm not sure they work on earlier ECUs to be honest.
Like you, I have an early Puma and the Unlucky Alf part of me has already said that knowing my luck that the other end of my OBD socket will be attached to a Christmas party hat or something.

Hence my splashing out £7, instead of plunging straight in with £100+ on some fancy stuff. ;)

Update on this one....I bought the USB one above, suggested by Wild E. Coyote. It works fine, I tried it first on my netbook (having moved the contents of the supplied mini CD to a flashdrive, because I couldn't be bothered to plug in the portable CD/DVD player - incidentally, they used to be around £65, but are only £12 now) using the 2 PC programs provided and ignoring the fact that 1 of them actually came with a crack key gen.exe!

Knowing then that the reader worked, I bought the Torque Pro app on Google Play and connected the USB lead to my USB to miniUSB fly lead/10" tablet and it all works well. You can tell that Torque Pro is the D's B as a female android voice redundantly later announced, somewhat startling me, 'WARNING ICY CONDITIONS!'. Seeing as I was sitting inside a freezing cold car inside a freezing cold garage at the time, I had already figured that one out by myself, but I suppose it's always good to have these things confirmed.

Incidentally, anyone know what the line of leds on the actual reader itself are supposed to indicate/mean?

Downside on this is that I've a P071 (Lean mix on Bank 1) error, but I'll look into that another time, as it's running OK. Well, I thought it was.

First time I've ever come across this OBD stuff. Fascinating. :)

Frank said:
Incidentally, anyone know what the line of leds on the actual reader itself are supposed to indicate/mean?

Indicator LEDs: OBD Tx/Rx, RS232 Tx/Rx, Power

As stated in the eBay listing ;)

Hope that helps,

Wild E. Coyote said:
Glad the OBD reader is working fine!
Yep, thanks for the suggestion, it saved me a load of time.

r53bertyboo said:
Hope that helps,
Not really, if I didn't (and still don't) what they mean from the original listing, then you just repeating the same is not making it any clearer.

For example, why would you say I need to know if the OBDRx LED was lit or not? I'm asking for a reason, because on the Puma the carpet flap covers those LEDs and I want to know if it's important that they are seen or not.

They just indicate that the device is communicating with the ODB then with the laptop and finally that it has power.

You don't need to care about any of them if it's working.

Back