Opinions on 6 series?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAC

In the near future I am going to be in need of a new family car. No matter how much my other half loves the Picasso, it is starting to get a little tired for long journeys.

We have been toying with the BMW 645ci, as they don't hold their value very well here (I think mainly due to the fact that people prefer diesel here, and the odd shape of the boot :-D ) so I have come across a few that are relatively low mileadge for a decent price. Around 50000 miles, 2009 is around 15 to 18k euros (remember used cars here are pretty darn expensive, I paid 2k for the Puma).

Has anyone had any experience with the 6 series, or heard any horror stories that I may not have come across online?

Do you mean the X6? The 6 series is a pretty poor family car I would say as it's a barge sized coupe.

Fugly and seriously thirsty. I know that the looks are one of the reason they are cheap, which I understand is why its being considered, but you have to think - could I stand to look at that fugly a*se every day, get into that car and know other people are looking at it thinking "that is one fugly back end".

If you want that sort of car you'll be far better off with a 5 series as a family car. Maybe the tourer as I think they look better tbh.

I concur, and if you can stretch for the 535d. PLENTY of oomph and the N54 twin turbo is bulletproof. My other half had a 335d going strong over 200k miles. Remapped to 380bhp and around 680Nm. It minced a few M3s (in a straight line).

Sorry, I should have explained that my family consists of me, the wife and a 13 year old that very rarely want to come with us anyway ;) And I agree, it is a barge sized coupe, although I prefer "yacht" :D

And as for the rear end, yes it is kind if special, but to be honest I cant really see it from the drivers position :p

We also looked at the CL500 which is similar size (the space in the back is a bit bigger though), but that also handles like a yacht not just looks like one.

I just don't want a 3 or 5 series because they are everywhere here, and I like the fact that the 6 series is a little different I suppose. I don't think the back looks as bad on the convertible 645.

What cars would you guys look at?

Must be:
2/3 door.
Less than 10 years old
Over 200bhp
Petrol V6 but would prefer V8.
Must look serious enough to drive up to a meeting in a suit (no offense to the puma)
Less than £15000

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/audi/s5/audi-s5-4-2-fsi-quattro-3dr/4330040

That S5 would actually fit the bill quite nicely. I am not a great Audi fan, but I liked the A5. Not sure I will find one here for that price but I will keep looking.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201601120022788?maximum-age=up_to_10_years_old&make=jaguar&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&sort=default&price-to=15000&radius=1500&quantity-of-doors=2&postcode=wa145lu&page=2&search-target=usedcars&logcode=p

That's what i'd buy.

Although that's not to say the 645ci is a bad car, very good actually, but the Jaaaaaaag is just more me, and they have a much more aggressive exhaust note than the BMW.

The jag is a good shout, I never thought of that. I'm always biased towards something German.

Please don't get anything with that ghastly colour interior though.. Black is the only acceptable colour...

I do love myself a Jag (except for the wood on the dash), especially the XK8 and the XKR (older models) but my father just bought a spectacular one (less than 20k miles) so I am staying away from the Jags for a while :-D

How about an Infiniti G? http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201602100911028?price-to=15000&sort=pricedesc&page=1&maximum-age=up_to_8_years_old&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.2&radius=200&postcode=PE28%205RH&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&price-from=10000&searchcontext=default&search-target=usedcars&keywords=v6&body-type=coupe&logcode=p

They are also on the radar, thanks red.

I have been looking at the infiniti's for a few months, I would love to get to try one, or at least see one in person, but I haven't managed to find one less than a 4 hour drive away (8 hours round trip). I also tried to get an Infiniti as a hire car a couple of times, but they always ended up giving me something else.

You don't hear much about them around here, any good?

Its an americanised Nissan, so take from that what you will.

I think the general consensus is that they're a poor man's Lexus

I have no personal experience other than looking them up and thinking they seem like a lot of car for the money.

I would be happy with any gen mustang (except maybe for some of the 80's).

Its not exactly a high quality interior, it doesn't handle corners very well and if a European manufacturer made a car like it we would all recoil in horror... but its a Mustang!!

Back