over revving

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lambrettaman

Hi engine revs fine on standstill 1st 2nd gear revs ok when running then holds onto revs in the other gears and creeps when clutch pressed
Mechanic changed t.p.s.not helped he said the harness which connects might need changing anybody have any help on this cause

Why do you say that now tried t.p.s
The harness for that mechanic has now suggested the speed control unit that goes into gearbox

Also been told that if above does not sort problem it could be possible to book into main dealers have it plugged in and they could reset parameters of ecu to stop over revving anyone had this done if so how successfull

Personally Im not liking much of what your mechanics is saying.

If it isn't the clutch switch try checking the wires carefully to the power steering sensor
Check the rubber nipple on the front of the throttle body isn't cracked or missing
check the vacumn hose to the servo

Yep small rubber was perished so put a small pipe blocked on one end on to seal still doing going to get a power steering pressure switch also told could be a clutch switch this revving is a minefield untraceable by plugging in to code reader

The clutch switch could just need clipping back into position there is a photo floating around of one in situ, or might need connecting.

I would put aside any thought of expensive main dealer diagnostics till you have run out of advice on here.

I gave myself the same problem by accidentally breaking one wire to the power steering switch while doing other work, damn thing drove me nuts and put me right off my car. I even missed the broken wire when specifically looking for it because it broke just inside the connector. One free bosch connector and it was back to perfect in a few minutes.

I would defo trust the wealth of knowledge on here before even a Ford technician :thumbs:

When I bought my first Puma ('98 R reg) it was suffering from over revving, or idle hang as I got to know it, when it was moving.
I'm pretty sure that was caused by a faulty speed sensor in/on the gearbox.

You can quite easily unplug the electrical connector which I believe should be under the coil pack and see if this makes any difference. The speedo will still work as its cable driven from the speed sensor.

Back