Overheating?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sccc

Hello Everyone and Merry Christmas.
I have a reoccurring problem and I pretty desperate by now.

I have the Puma 1.6 2001.

The problem is that on dashboard it seems that the water temperature is skyrocketing into the red zone after a few kilometers, then it drops a little then settles in the end point after the red zone.

In one of these cases I opened the bonnet and checked a few things:
- The fan next to the radiator was working on the 2nd level and blowing cool air from it.
- I opened the water tank and a little steam came but nothing else. (As I know if the coolant was boiling then it should come out as soon as I open the the water tank)
- Checked the temperature with an obd2 reader and Forscan and it showed me that the temperature is around 140 Celsius. (As I know it's not possible to have this high temperature)
- If I stop the car for five minutes then restart it, the temperature spike stops at the middle and starts to rise again after a few minutes.

I already replaced the following parts:
- Water temperature sensor
- Thermostat
- The cover of the coolant tank
- The radiator is checked and it's in good condition
- The pipes are checked, I have no leak
- The coolant level is at the max, I don't need to fill it.

Edit.:

I forgot to mention the fact that it doesn't matter if i turn on the heating or not, the results are the same.
The other thing is if i turn on the heat in the early stage of the "overheating" the air it blows into the interior is not warm, so i assume the engine is not warm too.

Sorry for my English I try my best,
Thank you for your help in advance.

Check for bubbles in the system, bled the system fully?
Is the water agitating when the engine is on? (beware hot water!!!!)

You checked the radiator....? How did you check it?

Are the big coolant pipes on both sides of the radiator hot? Does the radiator get hot? **But don't put your hand in past the fan**

Van_Dammesque said:
Check for bubbles in the system, bled the system fully?
Is the water agitating when the engine is on? (beware hot water!!!!)

Hi,
Thank you for you answer.

When i opened the coolant tank at the "overheating" the collamt risen a bit to the max asit is when the engine is cold.
When i tried to get rid of the bubbles and ran the engine with an opened coolant tank the water was still.

Is there any good metods to this? I thought the engine gets rid of the bubbles automaticly.

I tried the following that i have seen at pistonheads:

"'With the engine cold, remove the cap from the expansion tank and set the heater control inside the car to hot.
Next, fire the engine up and let it idle for a few minutes until it warms up... don’t be alarmed if the level of coolant drops inside the expansion tank after a while as this is a natural result of the thermostat opening when the engine/coolant reaches temperature.
You’ll find a load of air bubbles will come out of the coolant – this is the system bleeding itself. You can also try to squeeze all the rubber coolant hoses as this may encourage the trapped air to come out (be VERY careful of any moving belts or fan blades etc if you do this with the engine running).
After the air has stopped bubbling up your system should be fine and you can replace the tank cap"

CherryVimto said:

Are the big coolant pipes on both sides of the radiator hot? Does the radiator get hot? **But don't put your hand in past the fan**

Hi,
Thank you for your answer.

My mechanic said he checked it, but i'm not sure how.

Tomorrow i will check the pipes and the radiator, for the temperature you mentioned

CherryVimto said:

Hi,

I checked the radiator and the pipes.

The right pipe is warm, the left one is cooler but still warm.
The radiator is cold on both sides.

Hi

Did you check pipes on radiator while engine is 'hot' or at normal temperature? If your answer is yes then I think maybe radiator is blocked.

You already changed thermostat? Is it in the correct way round?

CherryVimto said:
Hi

Did you check pipes on radiator while engine is 'hot' or at normal temperature? If your answer is yes then I think maybe radiator is blocked.

You already changed thermostat? Is it in the correct way round?

Hi,

I checked this morning in it's "hot" state.

The mechanic changed the thermostat, so i think it should be i the correct way.
But if you tell me how can i do it i check it :)

sccc said:
Hi,

Was the radiator hot or cold when you checked? Were the pipes on the radiator also hot or cold at the same time?

If mechanic changed thermostat it should be correct. You can check but you would have to empty coolant and remove thermostat housing.

That is something I struggle to understand. HCV just enables or not heating of the cabin, it is an additional circuit. With or without it the car operates normally. How can HCV be responsible for overheating of the engine?

CherryVimto said:
sccc said:
Hi,

Was the radiator hot or cold when you checked? Were the pipes on the radiator also hot or cold at the same time?

If mechanic changed thermostat it should be correct. You can check but you would have to empty coolant and remove thermostat housing.
Hi,

The radiator was cold on both sides.

Wild E. Coyote said:
That is something I struggle to understand. HCV just enables or not heating of the cabin, it is an additional circuit. With or without it the car operates normally. How can HCV be responsible for overheating of the engine?

Hi,

Yes, it does not affect the problem if i turn on the heating or not.

The spike is already in the red zone when the heating blows lukewarm air into the cabin.

Mine starting doing the same around the 23rd of December and it seems like the tempature sensor was hitting an airlock/void and throwing the tempature off. It felt like the headgasket had gone with the symptoms.

I threw some steel seal when I was in a huff and it stopped that issue although I have no idea if it just cleared a airlock itself but caused some other weird issues.

Latest posts

Back