Puma overheating

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt69420567TT

Hi . I would like to ask what is the problem I am having. I have a 1997 Puma 1.7 and it keeps overheating. I replaced thermostat with spring facing into the engine I replaced both temperature sensors and bleed the system. My heater works fine blows hot when on hot and cold when on cold. AC works too and it blows cold. When the engine is warmed Up the pipes from radiator are very
hot. And sometimes right after startup the fan kicks in but the engine isnt overheating at that moment. After 10 mile ride in city in rather hot weather the needle comes to L in NORMAL. Any help please? :cry:

These engines can be a pain to bleed fully, so you may have air in the system still.

Have you filled/drained the system to check for blockages?

You say that the radiator pipes are very hot but do you know if the radiator itself is hot?

With the engine hot, feel the radiator so see if it is hot all over. You would probably need to put your hand near the fan, so don't do this with the ignition on and maybe even unplug the fans electrical connectors or remove the fan relay before going near that fan!

I had a 98 Puma that had overheating issues.. it was caused by a partially blocked radiator.

Thanks for reply! The radiator is warm , not hot just warm. And its warm all over the radiator. And how can I bleed the system ?

And I noticed that fan kicks minute after startup. And it stalls the engine. I dont know why because engine itself is cool.

Are you sure the waterpump is working?
Does the water agitate in the res tank when the car is on (warning only look when the car and water are cold!!!)

A few posts ago someone said that the temp gauge in earlier models behave differently, i.e later models the needle just stays in the middle once warmed up but earlier ones can move over the centre spot without it being an issue.

Correct me if I am wrong , but the heater wont work with broken waterpump and radiator wont be hot am I right?

Van_Dammesque said:
A few posts ago someone said that the temp gauge in earlier models behave differently, i.e later models the needle just stays in the middle once warmed up but earlier ones can move over the centre spot without it being an issue.
I would agree with the earlier gauges behaving differently...

When I had overheating issues with my old '98, the temp gauge used to get right up to the red/end before the radiator fan would run... it used to scare me as I thought the engine would have seized up by then!

When I tested my 2002 Puma Thunder, using a ScanGauge II:
This is from cold, with heater control set to Max, no fan speed on and car stationary.
- Warmed engine.
- Ran engine at around 2000 - 2250 rpm.
- Needle in middle of the temperature gauge by around 87°C.
- Continued with the revs, and the fan cut in at 109/110°C.
- Let the revs drop down to tick-over and the fan stopped running at 103/104°C.
The needle on the temperature gauge remained in the middle (no movement at all).

Thanks for replies guys I am very thankful. Maybe the system will bleed over time. But still , why the fan kicks in right after startup? :| It should start spinning when the engine is about to overheat right?

It should, but from cold I doubt the fan should start, if it is overheating then it should spin up. Spinning up from a cold start means the electrics or the sensor controlling the fan is not working correctly. Better having it run than not though :lol:

Back