Paul's Performance Ford Puma T651 MRJ

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S1_RS

I've already shown a few pics in the newbie section but thought I'd start a progress thread in here.

T651 MRJ was bought from my mate Alex on 15 Feb 2013. It was already slightly modified with a Chris Tullett Custom S/S exhaust and 4 branch manifold, Gaz Gold coilovers and Vibratechnics engine mounts and torque link. Most of the interior was gone but it still had std seats. Alex had run the car on Comp CXR's with Maxxis road legal semi-slicks but I already had a set of CXR's so opted to buy it on std Puma fan alloys.

As soon as I got it home I started to order parts, first up was a set of Powerflex bushes for the front arms, a pair of Sparco seat subframes, a Momo wheel boss, Ford racing 20mm rear hub spacers and some extra long wheel studs.

I attacked the front end first by removing the lower arms and fitted the Powerflex bushes, a fairly simple affair to remove old bushes and press in the replacements. At this point I found the lower arm pinchbolt was only done up finger-tight! I also investigated the front shock/spring assembly. The front springs were at their lowest setting but were still only slightly lower than std ride height. A trip to Gaz saw the 8" 350lb springs replaced with 6" 400lb. I also found the thrust bearings were missing which meant the springs have a tendency to wind the platforms up/down the shock body when the steering is turned. I bought new bearings and top rubbers. I then had to play around with small spacers to get bearings & topcaps properly setup.

Whilst working on the front-end I went to replace the front wheel studs. On most Fiesta's you can replace the studs without disturbing the drive flanges, however on a Puma with ABS you need to remove the drive flange, effectively knackering the bearings at the same time. 2 new bearings were ordered and the new studs pressed into the flanges.

At this point I also fitted a pair of front strut braces, the top one was bolted down with stainless bolts instead of the usual crappy self-tappers they are supplied with. The lower front went on at the same time as replacing the lower arms.

At the rear I removed the drums and replaced the studs and whilst they were off I fitted the 20mm hub spacers behind the stub-axle. I modded the ABS sensor one side which refuse to fit with the spacer but still ended up with ABS lights showing on the dash. I will need to test the sensor and maybe refit them again.

For wheels & tyres I removed the Compomotive CXR's from my Fiesta RS Turbo and had them fitted with a set of Toyo T1-R which I had bought for my Mk1 Golf but never fitted. My CXR's were a lower offset than those already on the car meaning the fitted the front without spacers and nicely filled out the rear arches as well.

Turning my attention to the interior I removed the remaining front seats and fitted the Sparco subframes along with the Sparco Rev Evo's along with 4-point harnesses. The harnesses are mounted using the std outer seatbelt mounting points. The inner points were modified from a set of S1 RST seatbelt mounts cut & welded together then mounted underneath the central tunnel behind the handbrake. At the rear I removed the strutbrace from my Mk1 FRS, cut it down to size to fit the Puma and re-welded it. It was fitted to the Puma using large hi-tensile bolts and thick plates on the inside of the strut towers. I squidged a load of Sikaflex behind it to seal it up from the elements.

Once all the mechs were done I gave the car a thorough clean inside, around the handbrake lever was a thick sticky pool of mess, it was a combination of melted boiled sweets, dog hair and what looked like pork scratching. I had to unbolt the handbrake lever to get at it properly, I ended up using a large amount of Cillit bang and half a roll of kitchen paper to remove it, yuck!

I finally gave the car another wash and then polished all the glass.

Future mods are a set of rear beam Powerflex bushes, and on Weds I'm getting a set of ST170 calipers and discs, I will need to check how much work will be needed to get these to fit under the 15" Comps. Hopefully being a lightweight motorsport wheel it should be plain sailing. Famous last words!

Last but not least I treated the Puma to a new set of numberplates, some carbon-look from Halfords of all places lol :)

And finally a few pics!

IMAG1496.jpg

IMAG1497.jpg

IMAG1498.jpg

IMAG1499.jpg

IMAG1500.jpg

IMAG1501.jpg

IMAG1502.jpg

IMAG1503.jpg

IMAG1507.jpg

PumaJay said:
was this alex from performance ford who now works for piston heads?

looks good! lke the wheels

Yes fella, that's him. Username Scroff on PH.

Flying Scotsman said:
Who was the first puma to stack it on Paddock Hill at Brands Hatch in November :D

Is this a trick question, or do you really not know?

Bit more progress, yesterday I picked up a set of ST170 calipers & discs so thought I'd try them for size under my 15" Comps. I was quite surprised to find them fitted with loads of clearance so decided to fit them today. A fairly straightforward affair with no complications. The brakes took some bleeding to get the pedal solid but got there in the end. They work a damn site better than the 240mm that were on there but they lack bite. The discs are pretty worn and pads are almost done so I'm on the lookout for replacements. I run Mintex M1144 on my Mk1 FRS so tried looking for them for the ST170 without much success initially but eventually found Pumaspeed do them. I will go for some EBC D&G discs, quite expensive compared to some cheap ones you can get but I always prefer to use a named brand.

IMAG1514.jpg

looking good, ive been using the mintex extreme kit for my 300mm brake setup, they work really well with very little fade on track, also invested in some Motul RBF600 brake fluid which again improved the braking feel.

A set of Powerflex bushes for the rear beam arrived today so I set about fitting them. I decided to fit them without removing the beam, so I followed some of the how to's from on here. First thing I noticed when dropping the front of the beam down was how completely knackered the old bushes were. Anyways, first I drilled all around the bush to remove the centre, then used a hole saw to remove the remains of the rubber and exposed the steel outer. Then using a hacksaw I was able to cut through the steel outer in two places, a quick hit with a chisel and the bush was loose enough to be pushed out by hand. The first side took an hour, the second about 10 mins lol! I then used a length of threaded stud with some nuts, washers and some large sockets to wind both bushes into place.

Once back on the ground again I took the car for a spin. The difference is amazing, before I found the car had a tendency to steer from the rear mid corner but all that's gone. It drives so much better, very pleased!

Some new arrivals this week, a pair of EBC D&G discs and a set of Mintex M1144 pads.

IMAG1563.jpg

I took the opportunity to fit them this afternoon. Been out for a quick blast to bed them in and am very pleased, finally the 300mm conversion makes absolute sense. The confidence & feel you get with them is amazing.

IMAG1564.jpg

PumaJay said:
They are a great setup, so much cheaper than a 4 pot conversion and all you'll ever need in a puma

Agreed, I actually think they're better than the Wilwoods 4pots I've got on my Fiesta.

Had a slight setback yesterday. I bought a s/h remote from e-bay and after a bit of playing around was able to get it synced with the car so I could remotely lock/unlock the car. All's well until today when I went to go down the road and it wouldn't turn over to start. A bit of Googling and I realised the new remote fob was lacking the transponder required. I found the car started when the old remote was present so set about working out which part of the remote actually held the transponder. I then rebuilt the remote into the old casing and after much swapping of parts now have a working key, remote & transponder!

I've also ordered an oil cooler, a 13-row Mocal cooler with a thermostatic control, hopefully will be here for the weekend.

Got a trackday coming up next week so decided it was time to fit the oil-cooler I've had for the last few months. Also removed the SRS Led from the clocks as it's due an MOT and as there are no airbags or SRS system left the light flashes on. The abs light is also on, they all tested ok but looked in a bad way so I've ordered a complete set.

Latest posts

Back