Plip has stopped working!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimmickyflea

Hi all,
It's been a while since I've been here but I still have my Ford Puma after 8.5 years happy motoring and now in the throes of arranging a full respray.

However today my plip stopped working. I've changed the battery, but still not working 😕 it's been temperamental for a while. Does anyone know how I can get it working or if I can get a new one? 🤔

Hello, good to hear you're still out enjoying the Puma!

It could be the contacts to the battery, or some of the solder joints on the board.

You can certainly replace it, red PATs Ford compatible keys, same era, I was using a Jaguar flip fob.

New remote central locking key (it flips out :-D)

Reprogram a remote key fob (central locking) <-- this is one of the main remote central locking threads on the forum, might take some reading to give clues, or at least to reprogram later on if needed.

Good luck.

Hiya 😊
The old girl is going in for a complete wheel arch replacement and full respray after MOT in March. The previous arch repair was not a good job it turned out!! She's still pretty tidy in general but lacquer is starting to peel in places so as she's been so reliable and good to me I thought it time to return the favour 😉
Having spoken to Ford this morning it seems the key has to be reprogrammed by them after battery change, £50 to start with so I am very grateful for the information on reprogramming and will read through it.

Hope you and yours are still enjoying trouble free and fun motoring also 😁

As a side note, today I got a certificate of conformity from Ford and my Puma is ULEZ compliant. How amazing is that for a 23 year old car. Not that I intend driving in London anytime soon but these areas could arrive on our doorsteps so still good to have if I'm going to being spending a lot of dollar keeping her on the road.

Coincidental that we have someone selling a Puma today stating the reason being ULEZ non-compliance - wonder if they can also get a cert of conformity?

I've put a message in the other thread quoting your comment about it as it may help them too. :thumbs:

Sadly my Puma tenure ended some time ago, I'd toyed with the idea of returning for a fourth but I'd probably only want my old Racing edition back and that's likely to be cost prohibitive now.

Interesting about the ULEZ, did you apply for it just incase? I've heard some stories about that recently and it seems very hit and miss for the Puma depending on it's specific build scenario, good that yours has it.

I've had the remote fall on both my Thunder and my Medium Steel blue one, new battery, clean battery contact, didn't fix it. In both cases a second hand remote from eBay cured them. I only changed the remote half of the key fob, as the the battery half has the PATS transponder and it saves the hassle of swapping it over or reprogramming the transponder. The remote side is easy to reprogram, thanks to the How To Guide on this site.

The Pumas made 2001 and 2002 had the ecus changed slightly by Ford and their Nox readings come in at 0.083 so they aren't compliant. The earlier ones, like mine 2000 plate are the ones with lower Nox, mine is 0.03. The Nox reading had to be under 0.08 if that's any help to anyone.

Latest posts

Back