plumes of smoke after oil change

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parfox

First bit of maintenance on my new puma today and carried out an oil change following jackos how to guide. Tried my best to use ford oil and filter but only the filter was in stock so nipped across the road to halfords and picked up some mobil 3000 fully synthetic 5w30 oil.

All went well, filter was pretty tough im guessing thats a sign of how badly neglected this car has been.

Oil change was finished around 3pm this afternoon, i drove a short while roughly 6-8 miles and noticed in my wing mirror plumes of smoke coming from the exhaust.

before leaving after the oil change i had checked the oil level allowed the car to run for a while and checked again and the level was within the markers so i have ruled out having put too much oil in.

Is this something that is usual after an oil change or have created any problems by using a fully synthetic oil?

any help and advice on this would be appreciated, Lewis

Did the level go down any after the drive?

I can't imagine there being a link between smoke out of the exhaust and an oil change!?

Also fully synthetic oil should not cause you an issue. Ford have phased out their E series semi and now only offer the F series fully.

The level has not differed atall? There werent any noticable emissions before i carried out the change this afternoon. From what i have found online there are a whole range of different problems that can cause emissions i just wanted to be sure that this wasnt directly related to anything i could have possibly done by doing the oil change myself.

may have to get someone to take a look at it

was the smoke blue or grey ....did it smel funy ....if it begain to burn oil ..you wuld defenty picked up the sent !!!! a bit sweat ..with time your nose starts to burn if inhaled !!!! cant mis'it !!!

possibilities, im gonna take a good look with some good light tomorrow. no oil was spilt used a funnel so if any very minimal. the smoke was not blue more white/grey as for the smell i havent had a chance yet

Might be a stupid question but you did switch off the engine and leave for a few minutes before checking the oil on both occasions???

I say this as too much oil in there could cause this as it happened in my old Omega when I put my foot down hard - I actually liked the effect as it was a total smoke screen like a diesel but obviously not good.

Just a precautionary question anyway that I thought I'd ask just in case.

yippeekiay said:
Might be a stupid question but you did switch off the engine and leave for a few minutes before checking the oil on both occasions???

I say this as too much oil in there could cause this as it happened in my old Omega when I put my foot down hard - I actually liked the effect as it was a total smoke screen like a diesel but obviously not good.

Just a precautionary question anyway that I thought I'd ask just in case.

Same thing happened to me when I changed the oil in my Seat Leon a few years ago. Put to much oil in and there was clouds of smoke coming out the back!

Im about to check again, if i have put a little too much in is this going to cause big problems? (too much pressure)

What size engine do you have and how much did you put in?

Approximate volume of oil required:

1.7:
Oil change with Filter change = 4.62 litres
Oil change without Filter change = 4.15 litres

1.6:
Oil change with Filter change = 4.25 litres
Oil change without Filter change = 3.75 litres

1.4:
Oil change with Filter change = 3.75 litres
Oil change without Filter change = 3.50 litres

Oil level is spot on but the smoke seems to have settled down, perhaps i was overly concerned as it was the first oil change i had ever done. Thanks for the figures Rick i have a 1.7 and am pretty close to the figures quoted with a small amount of oil left from 5l

Back