Poorer fuel consumption

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P7TNY

good morning folks,

My car is now nearly nine years old, and has 118k on the clock. It has a very good service history and only does 6-7 a year maximum. I use it mainly for short journeys and my fuel consumption seems very poor at present, I rarely drive over 3 k on the revs counter, and check and top up oil regularly. I have not changed the sparkplugs for a few years. I have had a faulty heater valve for a while now and the fans are blowing hot, would this lead to a inferior fuel consumption. Any hints or tips on how I can improve my consumption. Would disconnecting battery help ??
Thanks in advance

First thing I would try is to take the car out, warm it up properly and then really give it a thrashing.

Never running above 3K is no good for an engine designed to be high revving. It is probably all sooted up inside.

A good long run at high revs, maybe even leaving it in third to stay at the legal limit if this concerns you.

This is known as an 'Italian tune-up' and can be quite effective.

After that, changing the spark plugs would be a priority for me.

Echo's above :eek:k:
Give it a damn good thrashing (once nice and warmed up) to clear out the cobwebs that will do doubt have built up.

Cheers guys, I was highly concerned about the spark plugs. I shall take the car out soon and drive it at high revs and get rid of the cobwebs. I plan to chnage plugs after car has its MOT later in the month.

Back