Poorly Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my 1.7 VCT for a month now and have only been able to drive her for 2 weeks. I had to get the tracking done about a week after having her as it was out by a long way, luckily this didn't cost me anything as a mate done it for free.

She drove like a dream for the next week until she started to screech and became louder each time. Then one drive home it sounded like something had dropped off the car and was grinding across the road. I pulled over so my partner could check around the car to make sure nothing was hanging off, which it wasn't. So I drove very slowly back home (luckily it was just around the corner) where she made the noise again a couple more times.

My partner has had a look an believes the Aux belt is the culprit as it looks fairly worn and seems that's where the screeching sound is coming from. As for the other noise, I don't know whether that's part of the Aux belt problem or something else? We've also noticed a slight leak underneath the bonnet, can't identify for sure where it's coming from but looks like it could possibly the coolant.

I need to book her in for a service anyway and also aware I need to get the Cam Belt done as the last time I can see that it was replaced in the service history was at 30k. She's now at 97k and I've got a horrible feeling that's what the actual problem may be.

So I was wondering if anyone may have any advice for me/what the issues may be/ how much it's likely to cost and if anyone knows of anywhere in the Bristol (UK) area that knows how to do the job right for the Cam belt because I've read about how tricky and time consuming they can be.

Thank you in advance.

Sounds like the water pump may have failed. You should see a pulley with 4 12mm head bolts just rearwards of the alternator. This is the water pump drive. Is the leak coming from there?

I agree it also sounds like a failed water pump.
If you can feel any play in the pulley then it is likely that the bearings have failed.. explaining the screeching noise from the belt.

If you plan on getting the timing belt changed then I'd advise changing the water pump anyway.. but in you case it sounds like it needs it anyway :grin:

With regards to garage cost then I can't help you I'm afraid as I do all my own work/servicing.

Back