Potential Project - PUMA DIESEL -Info

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma Diesel....

• Yes

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Interesting Concept

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Doomed to fail

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I would drive one as a runabout

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters

Flying Scotsman

Hi...

After seeing a thread on here it has sparked an interest in creating a nice Diesel Powered Puma.

Yeah some people are going to have their objections and they are welcome to them... But with the amount going off the road and being scrapped... at least I would be creating something rare and potentially quite interesting, not to mention saving a Puma...

So my question just now to everyone is.....

What specific Diesel Engines out there would people recommend as a good fit for the Ford Puma.... Im not after something from the Starship Enterprise... Just something to make a semi-economical... :thumbs:

So... engine know-it-alls and mechanical grease monkeys.... What do you recommend...?

.... And for those pessemists, sceptics and objectivists.... I will put a poll at the top just for you..... :roll:

The 1.8 Endura DI from the MK 5 Fiesta will fit stright in, however it's not going to win any awards for speed or not sounding like a tractor.

You should be able to get around 50 MPG and you can fit a inter cooler and remap for a nicer drive.

Ginger Tom said:
I'd go for the diesel lump out the ST diesel mondeo, good economy but with a bit of poke when you want it around the bends.
That's good but it's a 2.2L, so would it fit? It would also probably pretty difficult and expensive to source. I think the 2.0L off the mk3 mondeo would be the better option.

Do it...done right I don't think it would be a bad idea.

Sorry for being a 'boo humbug' but I think you can such high mpg out of a petrol 1.7 what's the point in putting a diesel in, which is worse for the environment all things considered and costs more to buy per litre...

+1 for the TDCI Mondeo lump,

there's the choice of a 2.0 115 bhp, 2.0 130 bhp in the standard cars and the 2.2 150 bhp in the ST.

I had a 130 Mondeo for a while and found it surprisingly refined and willing (for a diesel) the sales rep at work had an ST which I drove a few times, didn't notice the extra power but it did seem to be less refined in terms of engine noise and power delivery.

Have you thought of putting N2O on the diesel lump for a bit more get up and go?

....or is that going too boldly, where no man has gone before! :grin:

yes source a ford unit, that is the least troublesome to fit if not the most efficient then fit nitrous oxide to improve the performance for those needy moments...it will feel fast with such a lot of torque compared to the petrol engine...

I'd go for a 1.6 tdci lump from the mk6 zs, few tweaks and its good for about 155 bhp, engines not to heavy so no undue effects for handerling

I think some people may have gotten the wrong end of the stick.... I did say i don't want something from the Starship Enterprise... so all these 2.0ltr + ones are out, and the Mondys had larger engine bays....

@ Crystal puma... you are right, it costs more per litre... but the litres last longer and so it works out better than say... my lead foot...

@Paul.... trust you to mention Nitrous.... I tell you what... if I do this... you can stick the nitrous in it.....

Mmm....an interesting idea/project! Looking at the size of the engine bays, if your staying with Ford, their 1.4 or 1.6 tdci would probably be your best bet, if they would fit.

Yeah, either the 1.4 or 1.6 TDCI are sounding appealing... now what shell do i put it in.... I was thinking a milly being scrapped... but then any old shell might do.... And as much as it grates me to say.... that Sparx thing has got me quietly interest in MSB....
And to keep in line with my interests, Scottys mention of small tweaks sounds appealing too... and if Paul wants to throw in a FREE nitrous system then he can lol.

1.6 Ford would be the most sensible. Toyota 2.2 with 180hp@3600rpm and almost 300 lb-ft would be the most interesting would it ever fit. It would wreck the handling having an anvil over the front wheels. And would likely need to beef up the transmission (gearbox from a Transit) to cope with all that torque.

If the 2.2 lump could be mid-mounted, that would be more interesting. :grin:

The 2.2 engine only just fits in a Mondeo ST so it'd never fit in a Puma without a lot of engine bay grinding.

So would a Rolls Royce engine from a Spitfire.....

Now that's just wandering into fantasy... :)

I think VAG have a 3cylinder diesel which at least would make an interesting sound. Any new diesel would require a high pressure injection system which I would imagine would cost $$$$. Not to mention the need for a turbo..

I believe the old 1.4TDi Fiesta was hard to justify on economic grounds, you would have to do serious miles without breaking down. And if you do serious miles, I'm not sure you would want to be in a Puma. So the main role of the 1.4 TDi seems to be to make petrol look good.

Sad to admit it :oops: but I always rather liked the 1.3 Endura E OHV 8V Petrol engine in the old Fiesta (have a sneaking suspicion that 8V flexibility was better for real world economy than this fancy zetec stuff).

Funny.. my old house mates got a 2.0l TDCI Mondeo and he was always going on about sticking his engine in my car :lol:
I think its a good idea..

And why does it grate you to admit your starting to like MSB?? :lol:
Also, nice to be referred to as "That Sparx thing" thanks :eek:k: :p

I still think the Mondy engines are a bit too large and will be much more work to fit. I reckon the Fez is the best route for this idea.

And i'll leave the last two questions...... :-D :p

Is it just me that doesn't see any point to doing this whatsoever? Complete and utter waste of time and money.

Diesels are a lot easier to tune and can offer so much more torque per ft lb
Especially the TDI's

Back