Power Steering Fluid

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimfrp88

As a bit of a well done treat for hitting the 100K mark without any major issues, I'm going to change the power steering fluid in the pussy cat as well as a full service :cool:

However, after a search I can't find a definite answer to how many litres the system holds..

Any have any idea how much fluid it holds?

Even if the actual amount isn't known .. the nearest litre will do for anyone that has changed/drained theirs.

Many thanks

No need to change it.
It`s not like engine oil which gets contaminated with carbon from the combustion process.
Just like gearbox oil, it doesn`t need changing. just topping up.
Just top it up and carry on.

I know it isn't in the service schedule.. but it's 13 years old.

Thought I might as well change it whilst I'm down there :lol:

jimfrp88 said:
Any have any idea how much fluid it holds?
Less than a litre, I'm told.

As stated, this isn't a service item, but the clear red fluid does go black and opaque over time so it is either ageing or getting contaminated with something, even if that is not affecting efficiency.

In my case, I did what many people do and just replaced all the fluid in the reservoir (500ml) and left it at that. You just use a syphon or turkey baster to get the old fluid out and the whole job takes 5 minutes. The reason was simple, the difference between Max and Min is only 50ml or so and they only sell that stuff in 1 litre bottles, so if you need to top up anyway, it makes sense to have £2.50 worth of new fluid where it will do some good, rather sitting in a bottle on a garage shelf forever and is a far cheaper 'fix' than any other item related to the power steering!

If you haven't already, the best 'event' present for your Puma is a new fuel filter, which is often overlooked and will make a big difference.

Latest posts

Back