Puma 1.4 rough idle and cutting out?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmannghia490

Hi Guys

Picked up my first Puma yesterday 99 T 1.4 in red love the car but when driving it home noticed it had a rough idle.

At speed no problem when you pull up after braking the car would idle at 1500 rpm then drop to 900 rpm but then would dip and want to stall?

So have had a little look under the hood this morning. Noticed the air filter box wasn’t secured properly so fixed that. Plugged my fault reader into the car and only one fault which said PO-0174 running lean? So cleared the fault (and I have had no eml light on at all?) and Disconnected the battery for 30 mins to reset the ecu.

Come to re start it and now it won’t even idle? Just cuts out or is at a very low 300rpm virtually cutting out?

So popped my head under the hood again and disconnected the MAF sensor and all of a sudden the car sprung to life. It doesn’t cut out anymore and also idles at 900rpm be it a little rough still but nothing like before.

I may of answered my own question here but is this a bad MAF sensor? Or with me disconnecting it it’s just masking another issue?

Any advise greatly appreciated

Cheers Andy 😃

Try cleaning MAF. Use brake cleaner and JUST spray on the wire.It has to be shiney, most probably it is covered in dirt preventing the MAF to work as it should.

Thanks wild e coyote. Will try this. Also thought there might be a vacuum leak somewhere? Just with me unplugging the MAF and the engine runs better leads me to think it’s the MAF sensor.

Quick update all sorted. Cleaned the MAF and also the idle control valve. This didn’t solve the problem? So scanned around the engine again and noticed the t piece breather pipe left side had a cut in it. After taking off it appeared to have 2 cuts in it. Replaced the hose and now runs sweet as a nut!

:eek: great determined work there work, what's the idle at now? (Just in case anyone finds your thread looking for the norm)

Isn’t figuring out a problem yourself just the BEST feeling. Glad you shared because I would have no idea where to even start if this happened to me

red said:
:eek: great determined work there work, what's the idle at now? (Just in case anyone finds your thread looking for the norm)
Hi Red, thanks yeah the idle sits at 900 rpm and steady. Hope this thread will help other people 👍

Nooni_nooni said:
Isn’t figuring out a problem yourself just the BEST feeling. Glad you shared because I would have no idea where to even start if this happened to me
no worries mate. You’re right it is a great feeling figuring out yourself. Hope this will help other fellow Puma owners in the future.

See the following link to a useful guide for resolving Zetec idling problems

http://www.gomog.com...ambda%20Sensor.

Karmannghia490 said:
Hi Guys

Picked up my first Puma yesterday 99 T 1.4 in red love the car but when driving it home noticed it had a rough idle.

At speed no problem when you pull up after braking the car would idle at 1500 rpm then drop to 900 rpm but then would dip and want to stall?
Hi Andy,

I'm Paul, the guy who bought your Puma for my son, Just to give you an update, it's sat outside our house now with the same symptoms, de ja vue :lol: . I've already checked/cleaned the MAF, just going to have a mooch around the air system for leaks and clean the ICV and see how it goes.

Paul

Latest posts

Back