Puma 1700 Cfm / plenum size and quality

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle

Hello everyone

I am a Fiesta zetec S owner with a 1600 sigma engine (tivct 120ps).

I have turbocharged the car and looking to see upwards of 220ps from it

I am now looking to change / upgrade (?) from my plastic intake manifold (see image)
ffq.jpg

to a puma 1700cc one
css.jpg

What are the cfm in these? What is the plenum size? Is it necessary to port it? an easy job? is it even worth it? :roll:

thank you for your time everyone!! :grin:

Disclaimer: I don't have any answers to your questions.

Opinion:
-You can measure the plenum volume easily enough by filling it with water then measure how much it took.
-Similarly, it should be pretty easy to determine if any porting would be useful by making a rubbing of the intake ports on the head and comparing it to the manifold. Minor porting of aluminum manifolds is pretty easy to do with a good grinder.
-Flow measurement is usually outside the bounds of what most average hobbyists are willing to take on, but it is possible to do with some creativity and a d/p measurement device such as a digital manometer
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Digi...4b539ab3483ec11ef260|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524
-I think its likely that the ABS manifold will flow better than the cast aluminum one, but that's strictly a hunch on my part with no data to back it up.
-ABS is also much less susceptible to heat soak which may or may not matter to you. A friend of mine with a supercharged car (not this engine) he uses for racing autocross has found a big difference in engine temps between plastic and aluminum manifolds.
-Having said that, the same friend has also had trouble with the plastic manifolds holding boost pressure under rapid throttle openings so he is still struggling to find the right solution.

I say you've already bought it so try it and see if you like it or not. You can always switch back if it doesn't work out.
You could also do a "before and after" dyno testing for hard data, but that might be overkill for what will probably be a barely measureable difference between them.

Yeah, I am going to measure the capacity, good thought

at the moment I am using a custom inox (!!) intake manifold that wasnt made after an extensive scientific cfd analysis , it just has a big plenum and very short runners (because I was afraid that my oem plastic one would not hold the pressure). :p

so I am guessing an oem intake will be loads better temp wise and also flow wise, I am a big worried that the puma has smaller plenum but at one point I want to modify it and make something like this (racing puma intake vibes??) using only one of the two parts of it

fe.jpg

You will no longer require approval to post as you've gone over the 2 requirement.

image.jpg

my intake at the moment

totally different than the puma one but I think worse in flow

Did the FRP one really give the car 8 bhp?? :eek:

I don't think anyone has tested the frp manifold on its own to measure the gains. What I know from personal experience though is that it gives a nice top end boost in the 6-7K rpm area where the 1.7 engine is a bit lazy. (even with FRP cams and full exhaust). But it's very pricey and I think it's better vfm to just make a custom one. A solution is as you say to use the near the heasd part of the puma inlet and match it to a custom plenum like LMS does. His though is from fibreglass so not very good for boost. Why don't you use the one that you already have? It seems that the short runners will give some good power in the upper RPM range.

P.S. Are you from Greece?

Yeah, I know that short runners make power up top.

however my intake was *made from inox, so when it gets warm it is almost impossible to cool down
*had no cfd analysis or cfm measurements so was only looking ...cool *pun intented* :lol: without any actual factual data to back that up

I am more interested in mid range torque / power or even better a broad and straight power curve rather than a spike in lets say 6300 rpm to see a peak number

Ideally I would go to a fiesta st180 or even better focus st (4cyl) intake but my alternator position and size regulates otherwise :?

yes, I am from Greece. :grin:

Hey mate,

If you're interested in mid range then oem puma 1.7 might be a good bet although tbh I don't know if it's any better to the plastic 1.6 zetec se one. Unless you don't want a plastic one because of the boost application.

On my N/A 1.7 puma I have frp cams (fast road not anything extreme) and a 4-1 custom manifold + 60mm free flow exhaust. The engine seems to run out of stream a bit after 6K. It's not that it completely dies but certainly there's no crescendo in the 6-7K range. My brother's puma with similar setup (miltek 4-2-1 instead of my custom manifold) and FRP manifold had a nice little breakout at the 6-7K range which was really nice. It was though if I remember correctly a bit more flat in the 2-5K range. As I said there is really not much in manifolds. FRP are so pricey that it doesn't worth it and LMS ones are fibreglass which isn't so good for boost. So if you want something else you might need again custom.

I'm also from Greece. I've seen you car in the ford fb page. If you don't mind could you give a rough description of the specs? I want to do a similar project (with supercharger instead of turbo) but I might have to downsize to 1.6.

Hello, to make it clear I would rather have a red line (broad power band) than a green one (just a peak number)
EGEG.jpg

so I am HOPING that the puma would be better for my application, taking also into account my 6800 rpm limit. We will have to wait and see :p

Στειλε πμ ρε πατριδα να τα πουμε :wink: :cool:

Depending on your ECU you could have the rpm limit increased to the same as the FRP 7200

I already have , the stock rpm limit is 6500

I will raise it more than 6900 if needed but I dont think a k03 turbo will be efficient at this level

Back