Puma ran fine after new cam belt next day died after start

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbc1971

Hi I changed my cam belt yesterday started the car in the evening to put coolant in was running fine ,today had an air lock problem,so sorted that ,took a drive to a friends 1/2 a mile away when I came out I start her and gave her a little rev ,ALL I heard was a clattering and it died, will turn over but not fire , any ideas,please

Try turning your engine over by hand via the crank bolt to see if there is still compression in the engine, if there's not the cambelts moved around on the pulleys and bent valves.
Barry

did you pull the pin straight out the tensioner? sounds like the kick back plate wasn't in the right place by your description.

Yes pull pin out of the tensioner then done the bolt up,what's the vib damperner bolt think I missed that in my research ,I would just like to say aVERY BIG THANK YOU to all replys I am absolutely gutted it was run nice and quite done thermostat water pump belts tensioner and plugs leads and ignition coil .
In the past done all bushes,suspension and lowered springs wheel cylinders stainless braided flexi brake pipes this has been my project and thought I was there just one rear arch to do ,NOW sounds like new engine DDDDDDOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!

Hi
Pulling the pin out of the tensioner is a two stage thing. Once the top bolt is tight on the tensioner (and the bottom bolt is loose) You should pull out the pin but only about 2mm out. This releases the tensioner and more importantly takes the kick back plate with it. You can check this by looking at the bottom tensioner bolt and if done correctly there will be a gap to the bottom bolt head on the LHS. If this is the case the bottom tensioner bolt can be torqued up and the pin removed completely. Of course this is best done with all three pulleys loose so that they can move freely and enable the cambelt to tension all the way around.
The vib damper bolt is the bottom crank pulley bolt and it's super tight! 40nm +90 degrees.
Hope that helps.
Barry

Thanks tuonokid went up to mates where it's parked not able to get it jacked up at his parked half on grass so bringing it back the weekend so will see if I ve bent the valves ,also I have a 2000 w reg with the grey wire to the lambda sensor how do I know what engine mine is MHA or MHB if you can help with that as worst case new engine. Thanks ,
Jason

Hi Jason
Not sure on your latest query but again Ian G should be able to help you out with engine codes.
I thought you'd already established your engine was Knackered when you asked for a new one this morning? Let's hope our diagnosis is wrong when you finally check it out.
Barry

I wouldn't think the worst yet,if you turned it off pretty quick and the pistons are ok its not to bad to fix mate,just replace the bent valves and pull the pin out the tensioner part way next time :D

The engine code precedes the engine number on the panel on the front of the block next to the gearbox, ie.

MHB1C12345
MHAWA12345

Sorry to butt in but I need to order a cambelt kit. The car should have an MHA engine but I have a receipt for a 2001 engine, which I guess would be MHB.
Do they use the same cambelts as I suspect? It's essentially the same basic engine isn't it?

Back