Puma's replacement (Picture heavy)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlashBastd

197001a.jpg

Picking it up soon. Probably just going to keep it until the winter when convertibles get cheaper, but quite looking forward to running it in the meantime.

56 plate, 79k miles, bit basic, but should be fun nonetheless!

That is a 197 right? I test drove one a few weeks back.

197?

Hmmm supposed to be worse the the FRP for having silly higher engine revs at Motor way speed- But plus side is 6 speed box i guess

At least its run in i guess

Mind if i ask how much it cost?

Focus CC will be cheap at christmass (think you can get that with ST engine as well)

I wanted something that was good value to use for a few months, not actually driven one(!) but know what you mean about high revs. The way the mag's all rave about them, they can't be too bad.

Neil - what did you think?

Wasn't sure if it was a 197 at first - due to the angle of the photograph and the size of the wheels. They really could do with being an inch bigger.

I wasn't too convinced, straight line speed was barely faster than the FRP, but it was only a very brief test drive. I didn't really get a chance to chuck it into some corners.

Flash- Totally agree on the rav reviews and the hendleing front

I've seen some very well driven examples, and they do look good- more then a match to a Puma/FRP. Just worried about the daily driver thingy

Not a great pic I know, I never felt my car was making the proper power, so hopefully it will seem more of a step up to me. The twisties are supposed to be where these things are great, but we will see.

197001a.jpg

197003.jpg

197004a.jpg

197002.jpg

I bought it unseen, 06/56, 80k, 1 owner, in need of 4 wheel refurbs, various marks around the bodywork, some wear to the drivers seat, 1 key, part SH.

When I collected it, I discovered that actual spec as follows;
  • Cabasse
  • Auto climate
  • Xenons
  • Smoked rear windows

On the plus side, in addition to spec.
  • 4 x matching nearly new Yoko's
  • RFT to 9/10
  • Full SH, inc. belts
  • 2 keys (one needed a new battery)
  • Bodywork better than described

On the down side;
  • Keyless locking button on drivers door doesn't work
  • Steering wheel very worn
  • Star in n/s headlamp ("oh, cool, I've got xenons; oh, I have a hole in one of my xenons")
  • Slight blow on exhaust
  • Couple of clips broken on rear diffuser
  • A/c was ineffective
  • Missing wheel brace

My plans are really just to smarten the car up during my tenure with it, before possibly passing it back to my friend to retail for me, when I decide I fancy something else. In addition I will be fitting a bluetooth and iPod interface, and may do a few minor mods, bit of personalising, etc.

As of Saturday, I have sorted the second key with a replacement battery, had the A/c regassed (in case you go non-franchise, 510g of refrigerant - Autodata doesn't have that info for the 197), and started to clean up the interior - the rear seat bases, parcel shelf and boot carpet are all in the house waiting to be refitted in the morning.

I also had cause to discover the very cool "target" warning light, I clearly didn't drive the car hard enough yesterday, as I only found it today. Very cool. Made a flying visit to see some relatives this afternoon, and yes, this is a quick little car, and the press' fascination with it's handling seems fully justified. Not 101% sold on the fuel consumption just yet though!

So, to my shopping list;

On order;
  • Parrot MKi9200 phone & iPod kit
  • 2.5m twin ISO extension loom
  • Brodit dash bracket
  • Brodit active cradle for my BB
  • RenaultSport floor mats
  • Albi Blue touch up
  • Clio luggage compartment storage tray
  • Thermostat
  • Silver indicator bulbs
  • Renault TIS & EPC
  • N/S/F xenon headlamp
  • Drivers side door handle
  • Wheel brace
  • ITG panel filter
  • Replacement low mileage interior
  • Spare steering wheel (so original can be retrimmed)

Wanted;
  • Rear diffuser
  • Possibly a spare set of wheels, so I can get these refurbished

The wheel refurb, drivers seat issue, and a couple of dentmaster type repairs will need to be taken care of soon, any recommendations for the seat, wheels or smart repairers would be gratefully received.

Also I quite fancy getting the interior dash trim done in vinyl, I think either in a bright metallic blue, or perhaps in high gloss black? Suggestions, and recommendations gratefully received. I like the idea of blue as I fancy getting the steering wheel retrimmed in alcantara, with a blue leather marker band; I was going to do something similar with the Puma before I exited it.

I had my Scangauge plugged in and it would appear that the water temp isn't really getting above around 75C, which I think suggests that the thermostat is stuck open. Not a huge prob, but something I would like to get sorted. I am hoping to drop it off at the garage soon and will get the thermostat replaced, and the exhaust sorted.

I also seem to have a rattle from the tailgate which needs a bit more investigation.

I had meant to have a look at the car on a ramp when I was down at the garage for the A/C regas, but just didn't get chance, so it was sods law that I would notice the blow later that day. Further investigation revealed that a replacement mid section had been fitted, and there is a minor blow at one of the joints.

Haven't done anything to the exterior yet, but here are some pics anyway, just in case anyone has forgotten what an Albi blue one looks like...

2010-06-20016a.jpg

2010-06-20009a.jpg

2010-06-20017a.jpg

2010-06-20007.jpg

The bodywork has worn really well (hopefully I won't come to eat my words when I wash it...), but the interior fabrics seem very prone to pulls. Also the bolsters aren't as durable as they might be, but that seems to be the case with the Recaro's too.

Anyhow, I am quite taken with the car at the moment, and am looking forward to improving it's condition.

As ever, comments and criticisms welcome!

Wow, the colour looks completely different (better) in your photos!

Yes, thanks! It was only when I uploaded these that I really paid attention to the colour in the auction photos. Without wanting to sound like a complete girl, it is a really lovely colour!

That is a lovely shade of blue on a cracking car :thumbs:

In the auction photos, it looks more of a baby/pastel blue, but in yours it's like a slightly lighter version of imperial blue. ;)

Dal, thought you didn't like french cars! :p

It looks good- but tis french.

Oh and add some lube to your list as well- for when they tell you how much a headlight is

Dal said:
That is a lovely shade of blue on a cracking car :thumbs:

Thanks, hence blue being the new black!

RE: headlight, £120 + p&p for a new genuine Xenon, procured via eBay. When I asked about a new diffuser it was fairly shocking though. Think I will be sticking with my broken clips for the time being!

RE: the colour, initially I wasn't totally sold on this car, I was gutted at missing out on a FRS Mk1, then an MCS, and this seemed like a consolation prize, however now, I really like it, especially the colour.

Is that it???

Dammmm i thought it would be stupid money!!

Has it got the recaros in?

Looks very good :eek:k:

It amazes me why people don't look after cars - that's a lot of issues on a four year old car, despite the mileage.

Might have to try and bag a longer test drive in one.

Thanks!

A lot of minor issues though, and the previous owner did trade it in; looking at the HPI footprint they had been thinking about changing for a couple of months, so probably postponed the minor issues. They did keep it serviced, plus good tyres, which is more important than some relatively minor niggles. If I wasn't so fussy, I could run it exactly as it is. But I won't, because I am!

The seats aren't Recaro's, just the standard RenaultSport seats, which are actually really comfortable and supportive - they just don't wear very well; but from what I can gather, neither do the Recaro CS's.

PS, I would recommend an extended test drive. Definately feels a LOT quicker than my Puma, even with the FRP stuff on the engine, feels better screwed together, it's quieter, more comfortable, more spacious, better visibility, and the convenience and toys are nice too. It is NOT as economical as the Puma though. Struggling to better 30mpg on this tank, according to the computer!

This has to be balanced though against this being a circa £7k car, whereas my Puma (and most standard Puma's) was probably only worth £2-£2.5k.

Back