Rear axle still off center

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wip3

As described in this thread (http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16498) my rear axle is still off center. I've replaced the rear bushes, but it didn't move the axle at all. Investigating old pics of the car I noticed that the rear axle seems to have moved to the side when I got coilovers installed. Tracking shows that the rear axle has the right amount of combined toe in so it's straight. In the last tracking it had 0.32 toe in on the left and 0.01 toe in on the right and it can't be adjusted further to get the toe in right. As I understand the shocks are solid and should align the axle to the center so could the coilovers somehow cause this, or could it be worn out top mounts? I'm starting to get out of ideas and out of parts to suspect.

undo the 8 bolts (only half way) thats holding the rear plates that the rear alxe bolts to and undo the top mount bolts and just slide the alxe over to the side thats needed and just do the bolts up job done...

Should I undo the bolts while car is off the air and tighten them when put down so the axle would align itself?

Undo and do up the bolts while the car is in the air other wise if you lower the car down while there not done up it will just most likely rip off the car but you can leave the top mounts loss till you lower the car (don't undo them all the way mind just half way so there loss as well).

Buy some stainless steel shim tape off ebay and use that in the spacers to equalise the toe...

This is of course AFTER you've establised that the beam is bolted up correctly...

because they track the front to the back you'll get very funny tyre wear with those settings..as i did ..very expensive to get to the bottom of it!... :x

:grin:

Back