rear disc conversion??

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lidds6841

Does anyone know where I can buy a pair of calliper hanger brackets for a rear disc conversion on the puma? Looking at most of the post and guides, but they are over 10 years old most of them.
Has anyone bought any recently and if so where from?

Do you mean the main hub spindle assembly that the caliper bolts to? If so, it's MK1 Focus, however, if you want the ABS to work you need to have the rear faces and holes machined to fit, as well as the hub itself to accept the ABS tone ring

I see, so the calliper mounting points are on the hub and not the rear beam? other than the faffing about machining for the ABS,do the focus stub axel/ hubs bolt directly on?
Ive looked at a few pics and they all had what looked like a laser cut plate fixed on with counter sunk cap screws to bolt the callipers onto. This must be a different set up? focus set up sounds good.

Yes, to fit rear discs you simply swap hubs from the mk1 focus. (253mm)
Others will fit but are simply too big.
To retain your ABS is a bit of work, as described above.
If you want to bin the ABS, its a lot easier (plus you can bin the heavy ABS pump.
But you will need to fit restrictors on the rear lines off a non ABS Ford.

In truth, a rear disc conversion doesn't do anything for the braking. Looks good though. :cool:

Check out my build thread below, I have done a conversion on my track car..

Courtesy of ScubaSteve, pic of 1.8 Focus disc conversion:
And have a read down this link for the machining:
http://www.pumapeople.com/wiki/index.php?title=Possible_Ford_Brake_Upgrades

Thanks guys that makes it lots clearer, ill check out those links.
I just think a nice set of discs looks lots nicer through the alloys than drums.
Lots of people say its a waste of time, but to be honest I just enjoy little projects like this.

It's the small things that sometimes makes all the difference. It does look alot better.

It's a job I've been meaning to do on my normal Puma. I've got the hubs and calipers, had everything machined etc, just not got round to it yet!

If you need any pictures I've got the hubs sitting on the bench

Back