Rear view mirror needs fixing in place

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ocsob

Hi. My 21 year old Puma still drives very well but the rear view mirror needs fixing in place. Bought some sticky pads through some site which work in cold weather but when the car warms up, the mirror falls. I was careful cleaning the glass and the mirror fixing plate with alcohol to make sure the area was clean.
Any advice for me?

I know that the way I've fixed it isn't the most professinal but it works pretty good in my Puma - I've used strong super glue but in gel form. In my country it's called Kropelka Gel. Haven't got the problem ever since. Even during hottest summer when car was left outside on an open space for a whole day. Just remember to somehow cover area around the place you've put the glue on - you can pretty easily stain the places you don't want to satin on your windscreen with the glue. It's a pain to clean it afterwards, ask me how I know...

I used Loctite, you can pick it up from Ebay or places like Halfords

Attachments

• cvs-l1600.jpg
    cvs-l1600.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 0
If it were me, I'd try a new OEM pad and use isopropanol wipes or solution to clean the surfaces. Keep firm (but not glass breaking) pressure on for a couple of minutes after sticking, then see how you get on.

Then.. if it falls off again, use super glue, as above 😅

Or you could just start with the glue, up to you, I've done both in the past.

Bear in mind that ordinary 'superglue' isn't suitable for this job, it doesn't work well on glass. You need special rear-view mirror glue designed to bond plastics to glass, such as the Loctite type shown above. Then follow the instructions carefully, and be prepared to sit in the car for ten minutes holding the mirror in place while it bonds! It worked for me after various lame attempts with sticky pads etc had failed.

Hi. My 21 year old Puma still drives very well but the rear view mirror needs fixing in place. Bought some sticky pads through some site which work in cold weather but when the car warms up, the mirror falls. I was careful cleaning the glass and the mirror fixing plate with alcohol to make sure the area was clean.
Any advice for me?
We had exactly the same issue. Tried a few things but the one that's worked for the last three years is the proper OEM pad. My mechanic pal gave me one of them with strict instructions about warming the screen gently after an alcohol rub. Firm but not crazy pressure for a few minutes and it's done the job. I'm pretty sure you could sweet talk a garage into giving you one of them, but you can get the OEM pads for a few quid.

We had exactly the same issue. Tried a few things but the one that's worked for the last three years is the proper OEM pad. My mechanic pal gave me one of them with strict instructions about warming the screen gently after an alcohol rub. Firm but not crazy pressure for a few minutes and it's done the job. I'm pretty sure you could sweet talk a garage into giving you one of them, but you can get the OEM pads for a few quid.
Use the proper oem pad stuck mine on with super glue great until we got the hot weather in August the metal on the mirror stem got so hot it expanded and cracked the windscreen expensive mistake

Back