Reg numbers

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scofield.1

Just a little thought/question.... why do many people cover over reg numbers when adding pictures of their Pumas? I have searched through the Forum hoping to find a past owner of mine on here .... to no avail.... lol

Gary
MJ51ZZS

(which stands for Michael Jackson sleeps!)

scofield.1 said:
Gary
MJ51ZZS

(which stands for Michael Jackson sleeps!)

lol - my old kat was ****WZC - I used to remember that last part by thinking of going to sleep in the toilet (think about it!)

my current car is ****WTF which I think speaks for itself!

not sure about others, but i try not to show my reg numbers because fraudsters like to take your pics and reg numbers, and list your car for sale in order to scam people out of their money! Also, ive heard stories of theivs getting a duplicate reg numbers, and commiting crimes such as burglaries and petrol theft from forecourts, and the innocent owner gets police knocking on their door, or speeding tickets that have nothing to do with them.

Other people may have other reasons.

PumaNoob said:
not sure about others, but i try not to show my reg numbers because fraudsters like to take your pics and reg numbers, and list your car for sale in order to scam people out of their money! Also, ive heard stories of theivs getting a duplicate reg numbers, and commiting crimes such as burglaries and petrol theft from forecourts, and the innocent owner gets police knocking on their door, or speeding tickets that have nothing to do with them.

Other people may have other reasons.
I'm totally with you on that one... that's why my number plate is never shown...

My old Puma was V805GGS (the silver car in all the random banners) and got the nickname of "Giggles" from my then 6 year old daughter who said "Go faster daddy as when you do it makes me giggle"

:D

in our country .....because the police remembers the plates .....than your screwed .....they see all the mods and such things, next thing you know ....they take your plates ...and the car must be restored to it's original technical data .....than comes the MOT and than .....you can go and pick up the plates :oops: the police is much more strict in our county than yours ....UK rules :twisted:

Personally I don't really care whether my plate is shown or not, its just as easy for someone to take a photo of the car/reg whilst out and about in public or at shows so I find that irrelevant

buuut everyone has their own opinions and thats up to them :)

It's a fashion.

Our plates are on show to all and sundry, if the bad guys want to use them fraudulently they will do.

I guess you could say that if somebody with a Puma wanted to do service station drive-offs then a Puma site might be a good place to look for a suitable number, but there's a million other places

Largely people see it done and think they ought to also.

I'm not bothered, anyone could walk down the street and see the number plate.

As for cloning a car, do you think a thief would scour a forum/personal website for pics, or just search autotrader for the exact model and colour of car they want to clone?

If I wanted to steal fuel, I'd go and find some actual plates and steal those first, not find a reg and get plates made.

I've never been particularly worried, there are enough cars that it's statistically unlikely anything bad will happen.

Ian G said:
If I wanted to steal fuel, I'd go and find some actual plates and steal those first, not find a reg and get plates made.

In truth, my plate is just about the worst possible case for home-cloning since it can be made up from ten straight pieces of black insulation tape :?

Obviusly someone could walk pat your house or see it on the street and either steal the plates, or take down the details, but thats just something we cant get away from, but having it publicly viewable on forums and internet search sites makes it a lot more available to fraudsters! If i was going to clone a plate, id rather get the plate of someone who lives nowhere near me for 2 reasons. Firstly, if they are local, they might see your car drive past with their plates on, like has happened before, or secondly, the police are more likely to think the crook came from the area where the details came from.

In reality, there is probably no advantage to covering or deleting them, but there is so much identity fraud going on online, its just a little detterent. Each to their own, i just choose not to show my plates on the net, having had personal experience of what can happen.

Back