Replaceable ball joints, worth it?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan funk

Noticed a slit in a ball joint and was getting the strutt out anyway so thought would change them as I found some ball units only (seperate from A arm) on eurocarparts web site for £9 each so bought two.

This post is just a warning as to what a bugger they are to remove and for the extra cost you may be better off just replacing the A arm and joints as a single unit, poss about £30 each side.

Even though the replacement units bolt on, the originals are riveted on so prepare for lots of grinding then trying to drive out the remaining pin, then realising that won't work so having to roll out the oxy acetylene tanks to get some heat on em then quench em then driving them out, then fighting to chisel off the ball joint plate that over the years has fused itself to the A arm.

Just a heads up, the choice is yours. I just hope my A arm bushes stay ok for another couple of years and then at least it may be worth it.

Oh and split ball joint boots aren't MOT failure but may be in future. I don't know what negative consequences they have on the driving experience.

Just started to replace mine and found the same. Had to resort to Hamish to cut the rivets off and even then I can't get the old rivets out of the A arm. At least the joints themselves came off lol.
Still think its worthwhile to retain the original arms themselves though as they seem to be much better quality (and the correct size!) than the aftermarket jobs. Again, just my opinion.

Back