replacement puma engines.....ideas?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeh its gonna be a 6 speed ib5 box - if he can get the 6th gear in, if not then just a 5 speed with rs turbo lsd, he's also working on trying to put a syncro on reversve for his auto testing

i am gonna go for the fiesta st engine anyway, i was getting confused with the inlet/exhaust manifolds being on the wrong sides, the fiesta engine is inlet front exhaust rear which is much more efficient for the throttle body set up that its gonna get!

just me having a blonde moment....

If/when the engine goes in the Millie, I would consider sticking a 1.6 bottom end on with the 1.7 head. With the remapping that would require. In an attempt to keep it as near to standard as possible, as my trust in the 1.7 has been seriously knocked with the number that have the bottom end going.

cant the engine be bored out to larger size ??????

surely getting the pistons & bored is an option

http://www.pumabuild.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not on the 1.7. It's bored out about as much as it can go. Whatever the block was originally (can't remember off the top of my head whether it was the 1.4 or 1.6 that Yamaha played with), it was bored out, then there's the Nikasil linings, so there's not enough metal left there to lose.

yeah I believe that to be the case but when you read the add for that engine at puma build it says its a 1700cc Puma Block bored out to 2000cc

I don't doubt it can be technically done, obviously, as they've done it. But like I said, there's not going to be that much metal left in there, so I wouldn't trust that engine less than my currently shaky trust of the standard 1.7. Plus for the sake of 18k, you may as well just buy a 2 litre engine that's designed to have that capacity rather than one that's been messed with.

its more than likely been 'stroked' rather than 'bored' but i still wouldnt trust it....

and for £18k id fit you a 3.0L v6 with a supercharger, 4 wheel drive with independant rear suspension and a sequential gearbox....!

titanium compression struts & carbon bodywork would cost more tho....!

I would never pay £18000 for an engine my point was that someone must do the pistons & rings to suit it , personally I agree with you about the 1.6 short engine due to the fact they are readily available & probably pretty cheap

Latest posts

Back