Replacement roof AM/FM aerial

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOH

The Standard Puma aerial is 55 cm in length.

The alternative replacement's on ebay/Amazon are either 23cm or 40cm with wire wound around it under a plastic coating.

Has anyone tried these with a standard Ford CD 6000?

I am wondering if a 40cm after market aerial with the external additional wire wound around it gives it either a) an equivalent, b) better or c) worse reception than the Ford item?

Has any one tried either of them?
1) What were your findings with regards to both fit and reception ?
2)I also note the part where it screws onto the base is 16mm diameter v 12mm for the original, will the difference look odd?
Or
3) Would the advice be to stick with the standard Ford aerial?

Hi Paul
I think you know the answer to this, as your car is standard stick with standard.
Barry

Hi Barry
I unfortunately don't know the answer to the points raised in my post.
I would therefore welcome peoples experience and findings.
I did search the forum and this specific information hasn't been asked before, in the near future, the rubber will crack and perish on all of our OE Ford aerials.
So advice from people that have tried after market and their findings in particular to signal strength , will eventually be of benefit to us all :thumbs:

I tried a smaller aerial on one of my Pumas, I can't remember the exact size of it but would guess around 25cm.

Needless to say the reception was reduced and I ended up going to a breakers yard for something and getting a replacement standard item off of a Fiesta.

Hi Paul

If it helps I bought the replacement aerial from the fordpartsuk site earlier this year for my Puma - cost me £12 with postage but it was delivered promptly and works perfectly. There seem to be a lot of aftermarket ones out there but they didn't look right and I wanted a genuine one

i have a shorter one :) don't see any difference... anyway mine is a full aftermarket one with the attachment too...

the original has the base, the base has a screw... aftermarket antenna, the part you put to the base, has a screw too...

you can not remove the screw from the base, so a complete changeover is needed...

Hi.

I fitted a slightly shorter after market one it does suffer with lack of reception in certain areas over the standard item. I heard that the wrap round wire is nothing to do with reception. It is to disrupt the air flow so it will not whistle.

Regards,
Richard.

Back