Revive your melting steering wheels!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

SJBPuma's results inspired me to try this, my steering wheels was pretty ruined i dont think there will be many worse out there and its improved mine considerably, ok its not come up "as new" but its many times better

Make sure you have a tub of leather cleaner restorer at hand because after youve scraped it off it will look crap until you apply some.

Mine to start with

P1050660.JPG

P1050662.JPG

P1050664.JPG

P1050666.JPG

P1050665.JPG

Started scraping away with a butter knife lol

P1050668.JPG

P1050669.JPG

You may find the some parts underneath are just worn and come up a bit dull and "furry" but still when cleaned up looks loads better

What come off

P1050679.JPG

Kebab anyone?

Results

P1050676.JPG

P1050677.JPG

P1050678.JPG

P1050674.JPG

P1050681.JPG

That's what I did, except I used my nails instead of a knife!! TBH it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the first Puma I had ..... I used soapy water between the scrape and the leather conditioner on that one !

indeed, was pretty much like it when i got it, assumed it was leather melting and did nothing about it!

Thanks for the quick how to...

Mine was pretty rank like yours but it's only on the right hand side. While I've been doing a ton of driving in the last 2 months I've managed to pick a load off through boredom...lol.

I tried cleaning it a while back but never applied anything over it afterwards so it only lasted a few weeks. I used soapy water so I more or less cleaned it off rather than scraped it. Even so, it still takes the top layer of the leather off which I'm guessing is it's original protection.

Sure I have some leather waxing gear kicking about somewhere that I used for my m'bike leathers.

For me, it takes the top layer of leather off, not sure if it was a protection layer or part of the leather tbh as the little breathing holes are still visible.

I suppose if you have to keep scraping regularly you'll eventually go right through as it can't grow back like our own skin...lol

Back