Rocker gasket that actually fits the 1.7 MHA/MHB engines

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOH

I have in the past tried an FAI Rocker cover gasket and that was so poorly fitting it had to be super glued into the recesses of the cover to stop it popping out, whilst trying to bolt the cover down :cry: . Despite also using RTV gasket sealant it leaked .So that brand is definitely to be avoided :-(

Has anyone tried the Elring or BGA or another brand (apart from FAI gasket) as an alternative to the Ford OE items ?

Did they fit the cover correctly resulting in a correctly sealed rocker cover? Which brand have you found worked ok?

Hi,

In the past I have used alternatives to the Ford item. They were rubbish, caused loads problems. I will only use the genuine item.
I learnt the hard way. I am not saying there are perfectly good gaskets out there but do you want to experience the hassle in order to find out. There may be a member who has found a gasket up to the job.

Regards,
Richard

Hi Richard,as we are all aware.
It is often the case that manufacturers eg. Ford will outsource for their gaskets as well as other parts.
Just like the OE cam belt has both Ford and Gates on it.

1) The purpose of this post though, was to identify those gaskets specifically that I enquired about , to see if they were successful.
2) Does anybody know who Ford used to make the original Rocker cover gasket? (perhaps an ex employee at the time of the Puma production may recall)
Cheers

FAI fitted last year, was too short and slipped out even though it was sealed into rim first, it popped out and must have got caught and it split as I tightened it. So last about 5 mins!

Then ordered an AJUSA gasket and was no where near as tight and has been running leak free for 18 months!
https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/ajusa/2090585

I fitted an elring gasket this year, I used a tiny bit of sealant around the cam pulleys (as recommended). It fitted just fine and hasnt leaked in about 2000 miles.

ElDude at Allison Automotive (on here) does/has done loads of Puma engines. Hopefully he'll be along soon, and I'm guessing he will recommend to only use the Ford item.

Thanks For the thumbs up on both the Ajusa and Elring with reference specifically to the Rocker Gasket for the 1.7. Ajusa is a brand that I had never previously used made in Spain, however I note Burtons are supplying some of their range now (but not the Puma engine), so I guess they must be OK OE quality as they have stated.
Buyparts can supply both similarly priced , however their postage costs of £8.41 make them a higher price than the same items on ebay,
Importantly I now know both fit ok unlike the FAI that didn't :thumbs:

Back