Rotten Tone's rotting rot box

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crappy? I was well p'd off when I noticed. For some reason, stones love the front of by car :evil:

I've got my eye on a nice big roll of 4D carbon wrap. Maybe a little treat for me on pay day. :lol:

PumaJay said:
personally, it looks to OTT
As in..?
Too much in general, or everything is too big..?

Honestly.. I think it looks god awful, but that's my personal opinion on the scooby bonnet scoops

If it were me I'd drop the scooby vent and go for something like the fiesta rs turbo ones or new focus rs vents, something abit more subtle, I like mods you don't notice at first.

That's not to say its wrong, if we all like the same things the world would be a very boring place

Mac... I've already spoken to Kieran about him making me an IMTEC bonnet, but I don't know if anyone was actually sure about whether yours would be available for moulding.

On second thoughts, and please, no offence intended... I don't really like that bonnet. I've looked at it on and off a few times, but not totally convinced by it to be honest.

My earlier ideas were because I wanted to do something individual to what others have done.
I do like the scoop (as you have got), and I do like the little turbo vents (as PumaNoob has got) but was trying to get a amalgamation of both. Obviously that failed miserably with the parts I've got.

SENATEpumA said:
Mac... I've already spoken to Kieran about him making me an IMTEC bonnet, but I don't know if anyone was actually sure about whether yours would be available for moulding.

On second thoughts, and please, no offence intended... I don't really like that bonnet. I've looked at it on and off a few times, but not totally convinced by it to be honest.

My earlier ideas were because I wanted to do something individual to what others have done.
I do like the scoop (as you have got), and I do like the little turbo vents (as PumaNoob has got) but was trying to get a amalgamation of both. Obviously that failed miserably with the parts I've got.

Haven't fail at all! It's just a different take, and tbh its bold and old skool. basically its like fashion, would you want to walk into a pub wearing exactly the same clothes and haircut as someone else trying to chat up the same bird.... don't think so!

I think the original scoop is in better proportion with bonnet and the 2 vents would look better further forward, also think those vents on the sti are rotated 90% (and would look better). Below

2013-03-16-678_zps59f6b4ef.jpg

images

Always thought the old celica GT4 vent would look class on a Puma,

resize.php

SAD DAY TODAY.. Had MOT and was a major fail:

* Nearside front direction indicator adversely affected by the operation of another lamp

* Offside front (both flash when turning left or right) direction indicator adversely affected by the operation of another lamp

* Front brakes release unevenly

* Rear brake application uneven

* Offside (floor area) vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting it's strength within 30cm of the body mountings

* Nearside (sitt area) vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting it's strength within 30cm of the body mountings

* Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive

* Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive

* Offside front brake hose excessively deteriorated

* Front track rod end ball joint dust cover excessively deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt

* Nearside front constant velocity joint gaiter excessively deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt

* Front brake imbalance

Now for the advisory items:

* Rear exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases

* Exhaust noisy

* Nearside front brake hose slightly deteriorated

* Offside track rod end ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt

* Nearside vehicle structure has slight corrosion

* Offside vehicle structure has slight corrosion

* Nearside front macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment

* Offside front macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment

* Nearside rear macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment

* Offside rear macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment

Well, looks like it's another Puma off to the scrappers.... :'(

Sorry to hear this mate, as much as im all for keeping a puma on the rd, i feel this one is a lost cause, it just doesnt seem cost effective to repair all that. Sad times my friend. :-(

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree with you.

I know these things are only cars, but this holds a MASSIVE amount of sentimental value to me. I'm totally gutted about it.

Well, as with most cars ive owned, its that sentimental value that offsets the cost. Ive spent far more then my car is worth repairing it, just because i get sooo attached to my cars!! I think only you can make that decision mate. I really hope if you do have to get rid, that you get another puma in its place.

I will HAVE to get rid. I can't spend what I haven't got. And looking at the advisory list, what don't need welding this year will have to be done next. It will end up a viscous circle.

I've got the leather interior, but luckily still have the cloth! Got the wheels, plasma dials, exhaust, all the LED lights, air filter, poly beam bushes, front brakes.... I won't let all that go to waste!

I'll either take it all off and store it then scrap the rest, or keep the car laid up somewhere and swap all the parts over to another Puma when I can afford one, then scrap the rest.

Hi T,sorry to hear the above but since its just happened today maybe take some time to think about things before you make a decision.

Perhaps consider looking at it in this way.

1) Put the advisories out of mind for the time being as you would have a year to do these and most of them you can do yourself and most arent that expensive. Perhaps even the rust advisories could be de rusted and treated and painted and pass next time.

2) The fails, most of the fails you can probably fix yourself quite cheaply.

3) To my mind your decision would seem to hinge on two points
a) The cost of the welding
b) Whats causing the emmission problem and how much to remedy it

Its a tricky decison judging whether to keep ya baby on the road or not, but weigh it up with the cost of a replacement which will be the devil you dont know.

Best of luck with :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

really feel for you :-(

hope you are able to either keep the project going or you get yourself another puma ( you know you can't be without one now)

i do hope the welding isn't that bad and the excessive monoxide doesn't indicate the end of the engine

fingers crossed

:'(

Flying Scotsman said:
Strip it, sell the parts, keep the parts, but choose a different colour next time... get a Panther black....
Lol, says the man who had panther black, & sprayed it white!! :lol:

Kizza said:
i could help you out with the welding but you live a bit far away which is a shame tbh i hate seeing puma's (especially ones that are loved by ther owners) go to the scrappers. i could fix the vast majority of rusty area's for a tiny amount if you could get the car up here though.

Cheers Kieran (FibreBuild)
That is a brilliant offer, thank you.

Some of the work i can do myself:
Indicators (looks like slight voltage leak from one side to the other, so putting bulbs back in which take a higher current to light should solve that)
Front brakes (possibly caused by sticky slide pins).
Rear brakes (possibly caused by the leaking fluid from cylinder).
Front brake hose.

For the emissions I was told it's a buggered CAT, so I could replace that.

I can't do:
Welding
CV gaiter
Track rod ball end gaiter

So, even if I replaced the CAT, I still not got the funds to do anything else.

I'm weary of welding as it is a Ford after all and really not convinced it would stop there.
Replacing the CAT could solve the emissions but we all know how tetchy these Pumas are, so can't guarantee that will solve it.

I fitted new brake discs & rear ABS loom a couple of weeks ago, so bit of a waste but hey ho.

It's was due a cambelt plus ideally I wanted to replace the windscreen so maybe this MOT failure is a good way of saving the money from those.

The result I think will be off to the scrappers.
All will not be lost. I'm going to start making a list of all the parts I want to take off. The leather interior will be swapped back to the original. Wheels will come off along with the new brake parts etc.

So, I have two ways to go about this:
Remove and store parts and scrap it OR
Keep it stored until I get another Puma, swap all the parts over then scrap it.
Not really got room for either, so that's something else to think about!

PumaNoob said:
Flying Scotsman said:
Strip it, sell the parts, keep the parts, but choose a different colour next time... get a Panther black....
Lol, says the man who had panther black, & sprayed it white!! :lol:
LOL you guys...

Back