Rusty Puma Arch replacement group buy - NO I DON'T HAVE ANY MORE AND I'M NOT DOING THIS AGAIN

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FireFly90 said:
My arches are a bit bubbly so i could do with a pair

Somehow my brother thinks my arches aren't that bad, he says they still feel solid and that replacing them would just add more complications... =/

The trouble is, they rust from the inside; when they start to bubble they're already fucked - the moisture gets in and rust breaks out pretty rapidly. The longer you leave it, the harder and more expensive it is to get rid of it. You don't want to wait until they're hanging off before you get them done!! You could probably get away with not doing it this year and seeing how they fare after another winter.

Got any photos of the bubbling? Did he check it was all metal, using a magnet (or a firm tapping), and that it hasn't been bodged with filler already?

Never really looked into it, plus i can't look on the RPOC if anyone has said anything as i've been chucked out of the owners club.

evilrob said:
The trouble is, they rust from the inside; when they start to bubble they're already f__ked - the moisture gets in and rust breaks out pretty rapidly. The longer you leave it, the harder and more expensive it is to get rid of it. You don't want to wait until they're hanging off before you get them done!! You could probably get away with not doing it this year and seeing how they fare after another winter.

Got any photos of the bubbling? Did he check it was all metal, using a magnet (or a firm tapping), and that it hasn't been bodged with filler already?

True i guess, i'll keep my name down anyway, i don't have any proper pics yet so maybe 2moz depending on weather.

FireFly90 said:
True i guess, i'll keep my name down anyway
No money needs to change hands for another month at least, so there's plenty of time to assess the situation and work out the best course of action. :eek:k:

We have our first recruit from our friends over on Puma People - Sasa in Northern Ireland has signed up for a set! :thumbs:

There's an outside chance we might actually hit the 20-set tier for another £7 off each. :cool:

I'll be placing the order towards the end of March so the parts arrive in April so I can get them to people before May. May / June is probably a good time to get your arches done as it should be warmer and drier by then; generally not considered a brilliant idea to do it around this time of year due to the moisture in the air.

Agreed, was just wondering how long you had to get people in on it, the more the better :D

Shimmyhill said:
I will probably be up for a set!
How probably? I've put you under 'on the fence' for the time being.

Whereabouts are you? (so I can detemine how I'd get them to you)

Good news: Mr Raith has kindly confirmed he's on board over on Puma People! That's 16 confirmed sets, with 2 more unconfirmed and 3 'on the fence'-rs.

evilrob said:
Got any photos of the bubbling?

Have some here, drivers side is the worse of the 2.
DSC_1553.jpg

Near side ain't too bad, but the rust is lower down, will the replacement arches cover this?
DSC_1555.jpg

... now if only there were something for the door sils... :lol:

I'd address that driver's side arch sooner rather than later, personally. The nearside arch isn't too bad; could probably shelve that til next year. Get some quotes - might work out cheaper in the long run to do both at the same time.

We've got another Puma People recruit - take a bow, JPTipper! :thumbs:

Back