Service done...found out something too...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickydink

ok my puma was gettin desperate for a service and i told Rhys "I am not going on the Wales and Leicestester meet unless it's done!"
Rhys dad got it sorted yesterday. All the stuff i needed came to £42 and he did it for nothing! (i offered by the way but he wouldnt take it so we will get him something off holiday!)

Anyway upon coming to my filters he got to the oil filter and commented on how cheap and nasty and crap it was...oh and guess who did the service....Pumaspeed! APPARENTLY they use Ford parts... -_- well Rhys dad knows cars well and he aid the filters i bought to put on yesterday were decent makes and i aid £124 i think it was to get serviced at Pumaspeed, dnt think i will do again!

Keep the receipts and do the service yourself i say!! :D

My ticking i have been hearing for a wile when i first stat the car up has now gone so this was prob a sign the service needed doing, i knew it did anyway.

It felt unsteady on motorways especially and that turned out to be the rear drivers side wheel bearing AGAIN!! :angry:

All fixed now anyway, i wll be going to the ball! :D

DradusContact said:
I do most of my servicing myself, the down side is no dealer stamps.

On cars our age im sure that doesn't matter now, surely keeping the receipts to show the work has been done on time will show it has been maintained well enough, and properly if the owner himself has done it.....

on a side note i usually do my own servicing, but last month i couldn't get the sump plug free laying under the car (overtightened by previous owner), so we got the local garage to do the oil change on this occasion as we were going on holiday and we thought an oil change would be a good idea. (supplied him with the bits, he charged us £15 to do the work)

It was a bloody good job he overfilled it with oil (yeah, very wrong i know)

because he didn't tighten the oil filter enough...... (even worse) :?

by the time we had driven 85 miles it was pissing oil out big time....

another 15 miles would have taken it waaaay past the dangerous mark resulting in oil starvation and a buggered engine

Professionals my ass! how can a qualified mechanic not tighten an oil filter up properly?
its a hand job even a wanker could manage

Puman Being said:
surely keeping the receipts to show the work has been done on time will show it has been maintained well enough, and properly if the owner himself has done it.....
i couldn't get the sump plug free laying under the car (overtightened by previous owner)

You've kind of disproved your own point there...

You get good garages, you get bad garages...you get good owners and bad owners. That's the problem, you just don't know that maintenance has been doen correctly by anyone unless it is a unversally trusted source and even then it can depend on exactly which mechanic actually did the work :?

A well maintanined car will be obvious- clean engine bay, well greased door hinges, matched tyres etc... Service history of any kind is better than nothing but you have to be sure it hasn't just had oil and filter changes ever since the warranty period ran out and the dealer wasn't used for servicing because that isn't the actually the recommended maintenance schedule.

I've previously owned a wonderful 18 year old Nissan Sunny that was owned by a retired engineer who had given up driving and sold the car...the service record was unlike anything I'd ever seen before, detailing every bulb changed, wiper blades etc... all handwritten and dated as well as stamped. A box in the boot contained a spare alternator belts (OEM), complete set of spare bulbs, spare screws, rear view mirror in box and a huge file with every shred of paperwork ever including purchase invoice and original manuals. He'd even had it Dinotrolled at the scheduled 2 yearly inspections and the original toolkit, intact.

Glad I took these photos, you can see his handwritten labels :cool: Check out the 18 year old spare wheel :shock:
sun1.jpg

sun2.jpg

sun3.jpg

Puman Being said:
I didn't read past "you get good gara...." as the screen became blurry and i started falling asleep......

Afraid of learning something are we :p

Your loss my friend :lol:

Sorry, I assumed the previous owner was a private owner and not a Ford dealer, my wrong.

Back