Signal to temperature gauge

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevecvo

I changed the coolant sensor on my 9/1999 1.4 Puma after Forscan showed up a coolant temperature circuit error, After this the needle on my temperature gauge which previously sat in the middle when hot now stays very much lower. Does the temperature gauge pick up its signal from the coolant sensor?

Hi
If you have a digital dash yes, however iirc the switchover period was very close from Analogue to Digital dashboard ,for the date you mention of your car.

Now that your temp gauge is reading lower, provided its been properly bled then your thermostat may be stuck open a touch.

Mine on a fully flushed out cooling system runs a bit 2-3 mm back from mid point in the colder weather , which is still within the white marked normal range without issues.

Thanks for your reply DOH. My temperature gauge eventually moves up to nearer the middle but it takes a long time. This points to a thermostat sticking open and maybe it was just a coincidence that the problem seemed to occur after I changed the coolant sensor. I will do a check of the various hoses to see which are hot and I will see what the actual water temperature is using a code reader of ForScan.

My scanner showed the coolant temperature as 185F which converts to 85C which seems a reasonable value to me. When I took the reading the gauge had moved up to near the middle but had taken a long time to do so. It used to get there after about 10 minutes or so but today I te engine had been running for about 45 minutes before it got there.

Yes that was my conclusion too. I have ordered a new thermostat but it does look a pig of a job to change one compared to what is a simple job on many cars.

By way of a follow up I changed the thermostat last month and everything is now OK again. My car has AC and getting the old thermostat out was very difficult. I actually had to drop the radiator, bend the AC pipe a bit to get clearance and use quarter inch drive sockets from an old set to get to the 4 bolts holding the thermostat housing in position. Not a job I want to tackle again in a hurry. Changing the thermostsat on my BMW 525d was a piece of cake by comparison!

Latest posts

Back