Slight Petrol Smell from Boot/Rear NS Arch?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orenthal

Hello,

Recently I've been noticing a slight smell of petrol which sometimes comes into the cabin, but is much stronger around the passenger side rear arch and the left side of the inside of the boot, just around the rear left light.

There is no leak/drips, the car is driving and performing as it should, using petrol as it should and generally having no problems, however I cannot find where the petrol fume smell is coming from and was just wondering if anyone here has any idea?

I've jacked the car up and had a really good look all around behind the wheel arch liner (from the petrol cap down into the petrol tank) and there's nothing loose, no residue, nothing rubbing, nothing wet or anything suspicious.

The smell comes and goes and is not constant at all, you only seem to notice it sometimes when either pulling away quite quickly or when stopping and sitting still after a journey. Given 5-10 minutes after the smell usually dissapears.

If anyone has any thoughts to where it might be coming from I'd appreciate it

Thanks in advance,

The breather pipe looks good, same as the fuel filler cap - my Puma is quite good for rust and doesn't have many crumbly bits.

Has anyone had any problems with the Purge Valve / Charcoal Canister giving off fumes or not venting the fumes correctly? As that sounds more like my problem :/

Back