smartphone

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Hey - can you just bluetooth that to me" said no-one, ever.

evilrob said:
"Hey - can you just bluetooth that to me" said no-one, ever.
I actually use it a lot. But then, I'm in a band and we swap ideas that we record to the phone. Also use it to transfer custom ROMs and 3rd party apps you can't get from the market

I use bluetooth everyday to connect to the car for a 270bhp mobile phone.

:wink:

evilrob said:
mix2000 said:
As for security, Apple can be as bad as Android
Threats in 2012 by platform according to security firm F-Secure:

Screen%20Shot%202013-03-07%20at%2019.43.47.png

Source:
http://www.f-secure.com/static/doc/labs_global/Research/Mobile%20Threat%20Report%20Q4%202012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:|
Keep Android Closed!!
However most android owners keep their phones open to third party apps and are responsible for more than 80% of malware on any system (somehow jailbroken ios devices are never taken into account, as Apple doesen't recognise them, the numbers would be slightly different).
I was though, talking about both OS's update and support strategy, with Apple recently admitting they did not always close back doors unless it suited their update schedule.

The open nature of Android lends itself to the non-IT-savvy person easily installing (even by accident) something nasty; a situation that isn't impossible, but much less likely with the iOS walled garden. That's why I would point a new smartphone user in the direction of an iPhone.

This is detailed further here:
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/security-news-trends/security-trends/malware-goes-mobile/why-ios-is-safer-than-android.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can't criticise any malware that may occur on an iOS device as the result of a user deliberately removing the measures put in place to prevent your average user from coming to harm/lining Apple's pockets (delete as appropriate). You would hope that if you're smart enough to jailbreak your iOS device, you're smart enough to not install wonky virus-ridden software or malware, but if you do come a cropper you only have yourself to blame!

I've been using Android since 2009. I flash custom ROMs (DarkyROM to be more precise), I install 3rd party apps and needlessly I mess around with all the settings to try and create the perfect phone - which never happens because I like tinkering so much ;)

But not once have I fallen victim to any kind of malware... Just don't install apps called 'ONG ANGRYBIRDS2013 SPECIALB00BZ!!1' and you'll be fine

That's because you're clearly not the average user. I'm talking about the people you have to go round their house to uninstall the 'super smiley toolbar' on their browser because they have wanton disregard for security and compulsively click on EVERYTHING!

PS - while we're all waving our geek penises about: I was on xda-developers back in the day, running Quake and SCUMM on my O2 XDA / Orange SPV / T-Mobile MDA, and I was running Doom on my Nokia 7650 before that, and changing the carrier string on people's Nokias before that; so I've been buggering about with phones long before Android turned up.

Ok smartypants, let's get this back on topic eh? ;)

I was only pointing out that I've never had a problem with viruses, and for that matter neither has anyone I know - but I'll take the stats for what they are.

There's a phone out there for everyone, these are just my opinions

You obviously keep good company. Not the sort of retards that click on "FREE PS4 - TESTERS REQUIRED" and "XBOX 720 TESTERS REQUIRED - YOU GET TO KEEP THE CONSOLE AFTERRRWAARDDS OMFG!!!!111!!eleven" on Facebook.

It's hilarious until you remember they've got your phone number, email address and possibly address on their phone.

evilrob said:
You obviously keep good company. Not the sort of retards that click on "FREE PS4 - TESTERS REQUIRED" and "XBOX 720 TESTERS REQUIRED - YOU GET TO KEEP THE CONSOLE AFTERRRWAARDDS OMFG!!!!111!!eleven" on Facebook.

It's hilarious until you remember they've got your phone number, email address and possibly address on their phone.

Then it's: "Fuck sake, what is all this shit I'm receiving?!?!?!"

Latest posts

Back