smoke from steering wheel?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannyeff

Driving to work today and there was smoke coming from the steering wheel. anyone ever experienced this?

Think shes ready for the scrapyard

Never heard of that one before, the only two electrical things in the are the wires for the horn and the airbag.
I would recommend removing the airbag for safety sake so its not a poor connection and blow up in your face for no reason.
2 x 5.5mm bolts on the back of the steering wheel.

nice one ... do you think its dangerous to drive? sounds like its gubbed

Dannyeff said:
nice one ... do you think its dangerous to drive? sounds like its gubbed

Smoke... is always a concern, I would just remove it to be on the safe side. easily replaced though..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-1-7-ZETEC-S-16V-DRIVERS-AIRBAG-1999-2002-/221410432285?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item338d17151d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It could have just been two of the horn wire rubbing together also... only way to find out is to open it up.

If the smoke is only coming from there and not something sinister from within the dash itself, then it should be a simple replace to fix job.

al have a look tonight. hopefully its something simple - i do have a sound system installed, could be that mabe. thanks for the info

From the actual steering wheel or behind it?

The only thing on the actual steering wheel as above is the horn and the airbag.

Hi Danny
I would disconnect the battery before I investigated problems behind the steering wheel, if I was you, just in case. You don't want the airbag going off in your face.
Barry

Hi - i found the problem, the rocker cover gasket wasnt fitted right and the oil was burning so getting it fixed tomorrow. al keep yous updated with photos

Cheers

Dannyeff said:
Hi - i found the problem, the rocker cover gasket wasnt fitted right and the oil was burning so getting it fixed tomorrow. al keep yous updated with photos

Cheers

That's quite different to the steering wheel...

Had a similar problem once in a 1293 Turbo mini that I built up. Stupped fun but I remember sitting at the trafic lights with a chap from work when the car started filling with smoke and smoke started coming out of the vents in the bonnet. His face said it all, I just though it was a bit of clutch and brake fluid on the manifold. At the next set of trafic lights things had got so bad we had the windows open, when some chap pulled up a long side and give me that look. I saw red, the light hit green and we both took off, me like the dukes of hazard him like a little boy he didn't know what hit him. I eventually pulled up and lifted the bonnet to find that the mechanical oil gauge pipe had melted and was spraying oil everywhere, a quick melt on the manifold and some burnt fingers stopped the leak but it was like the Exon Valdez around stoke for the next couple of days. Oil everywhere I had parked. One the cars you love but don't ever want to work on. 3 oil pumps, 2 cam shafts, 1 turbo god knows how many rebuilds and I had the ford bug again.

Back