Some gearbox questions

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Arch Bishop

I'm currently changing my gearbox as the syncro was borked. I bought a replacement gearbox of the venerable IanG but there are a few differences. My old gearbox is marked as an AA and the replacement is an AB. My main question is that my old gearbox had the following ground that ran up to attach under the battery tray;

mystery-ground_zps27d8bd47.jpg

It stubbornly refuses to be removed and the new gearbox doesn't have the lead or any trace of it ever being there. Is it really needed? I'm guessing Ford left it off later cars to cut a few pennies off of manufacturing costs?

My other questions I sort of know the answer to but some opinions would be good;

Is it completely stupid to replace the gearbox and not replace the oil seals in the new 'box? There are no signs of previous leakage but... ya know... sods law and all that....

drive-seal_zps95212d4d.jpg

Secondly, the nearside driveshaft has a circlip around the end (the one that makes it a pain to remove). Is it a refittable item or is it a one use and replace jobbie?

All opinions and 'stop being a tight-wad and buy new parts' comments welcome!

're the earth strap, as long as the engine has got the one on it from the back of the head to the firewall don't worry about the one on the box, the circlip should be good to refit as long as when it is on the drive shaft it isn't falling off, with the seals it's up to you, do you want to fit and fill the gearbox to find out they need replacing?

Cheers Tom - The engine earth strap is present and correct and the circlip appears in good nick.

As for the oil seals, yeah, you're right of course! Any rough idea how much they are? They look pretty easy to replace.

The Arch Bishop said:
As for the oil seals, yeah, you're right of course! Any rough idea how much they are? They look pretty easy to replace.

Take a look here… http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281023035450?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tom is absolutley right about the earth strap :) but i would advice fitting one to the gearbox anyway. just in case the other one brakes. it has a tendensy to snap. both my pumas had that happen, and I¨we seen it on plenty others.. besides, the beter the eart to the engien, the less strain there is on the wiering that is alredy there.

as for the seals... they wil probably run for a long long time, but yes, as the box is already out, i would swap them, just for peace of mind... would also do the slave cylinder, just because they are prone to failing. and posebly the clutch to... just to not have to remove the gearbox again later :)

but that's me :) I'm insane lol and yes, the circlip is reusable :)

Sorry for being rude and not replying! :oops:

Cheers Wild E, ordered from that seller!

Cartman - fair comment. I'll make up a new earthing lead for it before I fit it. Belt and braces I think they call it!

Thanks all for the help! :thumbs:

Back