Spare tyre tray squeaking.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seasofcaladan

Hi all. Just bought a Puma and have noticed an intermittent squeaking coming from the rear of the car. At first I thought it may be related to the brakes or suspension. But having tested these I discounted it. However tonight I had a hunch it may be the spare tyre tray so I gave it a wiggle and indeed it rocks a little and squeaks.
Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this and what they did to fix it.
Cheers. :D

Never noticed it on any Puma I've ever driven. You may just need to tighten the clamp bolt up a bit more from inside the boot. If that doesn't work I'd suggest smearing some waxoyl or grease around the mounting holes for the tray.

It is the spare wheel which rubs a litlle bit on the chassis frame. However, normally there should be a small iron plate which is mounted above the spare wheel (on the chassis) with a hook on one side and 1 bolt on the other. This prevents this. I had the same thing as you and noticed it had been removed. I mounted this from another puma and the squeaking was gone. Also don't forget to tighten it hard enough offcourse.

Back