spark plugs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Demonskull
I don't know the grade but I wouldn't buy anything other than NGK plugs, they are the best so you need to look it up on the internet for the grade.
Barry

NGK for me too.

I've had Champion plugs before but the tips seemed too small for the HT leads so took them out the next day.

iv'e found the 1.7 a bit dull on the standard NGK platinum plugs... but the car really comes alive on the Iridium plugs..

they're the ones I buy (and fit)... oh and the ones you buy over the Ford parts work too..lol :lol: altho a tad pricey for what they are

I'm using the standard Bosch ones, Looks like they do the job. Never had any other spark plugs fitted though.. Maybe I'm missing out. If they are up for a change I will probably look at something of a NGK Iridium or Platinum sparkplug ;)

Sparkplug gap should be between 1.1 - 1.3mm I believe (correct me if I'm wrong)

I've been told that NGK (aftermarket sparkplugs?) have a longer life and some say they get you better fuel economy (don't really believe this, but it can be a nice plus if it works :p )

el dude said:
iv'e found the 1.7 a bit dull on the standard NGK platinum plugs... but the car really comes alive on the Iridium plugs..

they're the ones I buy (and fit)... oh and the ones you buy over the Ford parts work too..lol :lol: altho a tad pricey for what they are

What iridium plugs have you found to be superior (if possible, the exact code)?

Thanks

I put NGK Iridium ones in because I was feeling flush. they were way better than the ones they replaced, but the old ones were very tired and worn.

What's peoples opinion on the advantages of Iridium v Platinum plugs. according to the following NGK article, they appear to have the same service life. I can vouch that Platinum are very good & also last a long time. I am wondering if Iridium is overkill and only advantageous to forced induction being either Supercharged or turbo, although it is recommended for engines running on LPG ? NGK doesn't list an iridium alternative in their 2014 plug listing, although the iridium reference above listed appears suitable , thread reach & heat range are the same.
http://www.ngk.com.au/spark-plugs/product-information/spark-plug-types

I would only fit NGK to any engine. NGK recommend PTR5A-10 or PTR5A-13 . (The last number is the gap ) So purchase whichever is cheapest and adjust the gap to suit the coil pack fitted. NB Clip on leads to coil pack run best with a gap of 1.3 mm
the Platinum extends the service interval compared to an ordinary copper plug. They should last at least 50K miles.

I thought the plug gap was reduced from 1.3 to 1.0 due to premature failure of the coil packs, and was irrelevant to which coil pack type it was......
I've ran both spark plug gaps and as far as I can tell, there is no difference.

CherryVimto"
I thought the plug gap was reduced from 1.3 to 1.0 due to premature failure of the coil packs, and was irrelevant to which coil pack type it was......
I've ran both spark plug gaps and as far as I can tell, there is no difference."

If you have an earlier coil pack and cannot tell the difference between a 1.3 and a 1.0 pack , then i recommend that you check the resistance values of your spark plug leads.

There is a massive difference in the bottom end torque when using the larger gap, ie pulling from 1500RPM in 5th gear.

With the gap at 1.0mm torque curve starts a lot later

Im finding this thread very interesting...my puma has developed a slight miss at idle and was thinking to replace coil pack,leads and plugs as Ive only had her for 6 mths and don't know when they were last changed out...

I have my eye on a MSD hyper power blaster coil and magnecor leads with platinum plugs...
Is that overkill???? I know it aint cheap
Also if I go that package should I go 1.3mm plug gap or 1 mm???

Thanks
Dwighet

MSD hyper power blaster coil are regarded by a fair few to be poorly constructed and you'll be much better off getting hold of a oem version, I picked up a bosch one not long back for £43, havent fitted it yet as the originals fine but good to have as a back up, fancy having a rolling road session and can see if there's any difference. Magnecor leads i believe come into their own when running big hp but for our pumas genuine ford ones work great and very reliable. As for plugs I had Denso Irdiums fitted and noticed no difference, the cheap NGK coppers work great the main reason for irdium is how much longer they last but at a too big a cost if you ask me compared to how long basic plugs last anyway!

grayfox said:
MSD hyper power blaster coil are regarded by a fair few to be poorly constructed and you'll be much better off getting hold of a oem version, I picked up a bosch one not long back for £43, havent fitted it yet as the originals fine but good to have as a back up, fancy having a rolling road session and can see if there's any difference. Magnecor leads i believe come into their own when running big hp but for our pumas genuine ford ones work great and very reliable. As for plugs I had Denso Irdiums fitted and noticed no difference, the cheap NGK coppers work great the main reason for irdium is how much longer they last but at a too big a cost if you ask me compared to how long basic plugs last anyway!

Ah very good...
I will get some OEM leads and coil pack then..
Have already ordered some NGK platinum plugs..

Thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back