stalling

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex-20

hey all :) share a 1.7 puma with the fella.. slight problem has arisen that has been bugging me the past few days.. every time i break to stop or driving slow in traffic the power cuts out and stalls, clutch needs replacing because it slips when driving at high speeds, not sure if this could be the cause or not.. any advice on what this could be please?

icv valve needs cleaning or replacing,also check power steering switch connection,as these tend to break,and also check clutch switch above clutch pedal

I too have this issue however my clutch is fine. I have been told after having it scanned that is is a Variable valve timing solenoid that is £240 plus a timing belt replacement plus labour however someone who works for the RAC has said it is unusual that this solenoid would cause the car to stall but would impact power instead. I have posted a help me post to see if any other owners have had this fault as I do not want to pay to have it repaired if this is not the issue but as it stands at the min unless anyone can prove otherwise that is is not the solenoid then i will have to send my car to the breakers yard . :cry:

Kezza, check the stuff Martin pointed out first as they're known reasons for stalling, then, if I'm thinking of the right part, the solenoid in question is on the right hand side of the engine just under the rocker cover. I'd see if you can source a used one from a scrapyard or better still borrow one of someone with a Puma that is working ok if possible then you can save buying stuff that isn't needed. Getting to it and replacing it is a 5 minute job.

Why the timing belt needs replacing is beyond me unless it's either due a replacement through miles/age or the timing is actually out in which case the belt 'should' still be ok.

Yippekiay - Many thanks for your response.

The garage that has my car has never done one of these before. He has got a 2nd hand solenoid from a puma that has been stripped for spares but he says in order to fit it you have to remove the timing belt etc and then need to replace it as you cant re taut (if that is the word for it!)

The garage showed me where both the sensor and the solenoid are, one is on the left hand side on top of the engine case and the other is on the right hand side on the top (he said this was the sensor). He has said it is a 4.5 job to do which is where most of the cost is coming from. I am picking the car up later and taking it home whilst deciding what to do. When I collect it I will ask him what the error codes are and what the sensor was called.

The garage have said they have already cleaned the ICV and that did not make a difference when I took if for a test drive the other day.

:grin:

Was the battery disconnected to reset the ECU after the ICV was cleaned...?
Do check the connection on the power steering pressure switch. When I got my Puma, some how this connection had got pushed round so almost all of the plug had worn away on the pulley on the bottom of the engine.

yippeekiay said:
Put your location in your profile Kezza as someone may be near you to give you a hand or you can look at the recommended garage thread for a garage that DOES know what it's doing when they see a Puma ;)
:eek:k:

EDIT: I have removed the information I posted, as I got it wrong.. :oops:

thats the cam shaft position sensor, the VCT is on the left hand side as per this pic nearest the timing belt

P1050933.JPG

i dont THINK the timing belt needs to be removed to be replaced though I can find out later

If its the actuall vtc pulley thats gone,that part on its own is approx £600,which will need the belt to be changed,the valve you have shown,does not need the belt to be removed...

yeah the vct solenoid is that whats shown, im also pretty sure the belt doesnt need to come off (95%)

Check the level of your power steering fluid, if it's low the engine will try to put more power to the steering pump and then stall. And if you haven't already, check the connector to the power steering sensor on the PS pipe under the radiator.

Everyone, Thank you for taking the time to reply! :grin:

I have printed this off and am collecting my car from the garage that currently has my baby and taking it to someone else so that they can check all the points you guys have told me about. I sure hope one of these things work! :grin:

Yippekiay, thanks for the location tip! Have added this now! :grin:

Hmmm Which is it? Split Breather or split vaccuum pipe? Had taking my car to the other garage tonight and was compiling a list of things to check lol! :?

Hi All

I have taken my car to a different garage and have pointed out all the points you guys made!

I found out the fault code was P1380..... Any clues?

K

Actually that fault code is what we have all been talking about so all good! Originally i was told there was 2 faults but when it was rescanned last night there was only 1.

Lets wait to see what the 2nd garage comes up with.

Thanks All.

Split.breather won't cause any running probs in fact you could remove breather pipe and car would run fine. Split vacuum on the other hand will make your car stall

Latest posts

Back