Starter problem or engine seized?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubberjohnson

My gf was driving yesterday and pulled up at some lights. Tried to move off and found she's stalled (didn't notice over loud music). Couldn't get going again. I had a look later and noticed the trip meter had reset and the battery was looking ropey, so thought it was that. New battery in this morning, still no joy. Loud clunk from starter, looks like it engages the engine but is stopped straight away. Can't push start either.
So... simple starter problem, maybe broken part inside seizing everything, or engine seized? I'll try to test both next week, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or similar experiences. The fact I can't push start makes me worried. I think it's had a cam belt change when recommended, as it's been serviced by Ford from new, but I'm worried. I had to scrap my last Puma a year ago for a blown gasket. That one was too rusty to spend money repairing, but this car's rust free. Be gutted if it's popped.
As a precursor to bad news, any recommendations in SW London for replacement engines (1.7) and fitting?
Aargh!

First thing to check is that the earth strap that goes from the back of the engine to the firewall is intact, not corroded and that the place it contacts is not too rusty. It's quite a common thing to break/corrode.

Thanks, I'll check. My mechanic reckons since it stalled whilst running, it's more likely a seized engine. Gonna try hand cranking later to check. If so, time for a replacement engine...

did you check the dip stick? if it's dry, there is a pretty good chanse it's seiced :)

The engien wil use some oil at all times, it may have sudenly used most of it, and then stopped, IDK, i just generaly chek the oil level, whenever suspecting a stuck engien :)

When you tryed to role start it, did it just stop when you let out the clutch, or did it seem like it was turning the engien?

Put the car in gear, try to roll the car forward, does the engine turn over?

ewizzy said:
First thing to check is that the earth strap that goes from the back of the engine to the firewall is intact, not corroded and that the place it contacts is not too rusty. It's quite a common thing to break/corrode.
If the car just stopped when you try and push start it, the earth strap is irrelvant to this problem.

The OP has already stated that the car just stops when it is push started, so therefore it wont roll

CherryVimto said:
ewizzy said:
If the car just stopped when you try and push start it, the earth strap is irrelvant to this problem.

The OP has already stated that the car just stops when it is push started, so therefore it wont roll

The op said his clocks had reset, I thought the battery strap was worth a try.

Don't worry, I won't bother trying to help in future.

jack the car up on one side so one of th driving wheels is off the ground,

1. try turning wheel

2. put the car in gear then try turn the wheel again.

will give you an idea if its the gearbox (1) or the engine/starter jam (2)

Talking of thread resurrection... :D

It died. Timing belt had gone. Dropped in a second hand engine. Thanks for all the help! I'll be back on here (in fact, I'm currently trying to sort out an overheating problem. I love the car but MAN she's temperamental!)

Latest posts

Back